Chapter Seventeen

After another week in the hospital, I came home to my stuff sitting outside on the curb, the soft snow dusting my belongings in a blanket of white. I wanted to say I was surprised but I wasn't, merely sighing before stepping around the mass of things and up the stairs to my apartment. I slid the key into the lock and opened the door, revealing a completely barren apartment except for a few remaining pieces of furniture. I guessed Catherine hadn't changed the locks yet but I assumed that was next on her to-do list. I went into my bedroom, thanking God that my bed was still there before stripping from the old bloody clothes I left the hospital in. I needed a shower, badly, the sponge baths not sufficing. My hair was a greasy matted mess and my body ached horribly, the hot water soothing me as I stepped under it, a moan of pleasure leaving me. I scrubbed away every trace of blood that was still on me, my arms and chest covered in yellowing bruises that were still sore. I must've stayed in there for at least an hour, my fingers pruning by the time I stepped out.

I searched through my drawers for clothes but almost everything was gone, I guessed that's what was in the trash bags on the side of the road. Only a few things remained; a few pairs of sweatpants in a box under the bed, along with Elijah's green sweater that I hid there. I threw them on with no underwear or socks, pulling on my black Converse and grabbing my bag. I stepped out into the snow, Dani's car parked in front of the apartment, waiting for me. I slid into the passenger seat, taking it easy on my ribs as I buckled up. Dani stared at me, her dark eyes widening.

"Holy shit, Kit. Your dad did this to you?" Her voice shook with concern as I avoided her gaze. "I'll kill that son of a bitch."

"Dani, please, just drive." I ran my hands through my damp hair in frustration. "I really don't want to talk about it anymore."

She made a noise of discomfort before pulling away from the curb, her hands tight on the wheel. It was silent for a moment, her windshield wipers combating the oncoming snow. I knew it was only a matter of time before she pressed me. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She asked, glancing over at me again.

"I haven't heard from him since that day he came to the hospital, I'm worried about him." I looked out the window, watching Ridge pass me by as we sped over the bridge.

"Maybe it's for a good reason, Kit. I mean maybe he's right, you should just let things cool off." Her anxious energy was bothering me, causing me to doubt myself.

"If you don't want to take me then don't take me, just tell me where it is and I'll fucking walk." I shot back angrily.

"Kit, you know I'd do anything for you." She reassured me in a sad tone that I rarely heard from her. "I just don't want you to get hurt." I knew she only wanted what was best for me but either way, I needed to know. If Elijah didn't want to be with me he could say it to my face.

We rode in silence for the next ten minutes, nerves tying my stomach in knots. Why didn't he come back? How could he put me through this, now of all times?  "How much farther?" I asked impatiently.

"We're nearly there, I think." We came to a stop at a red light, Dani looking around herself with uncertainty. "I don't know, I'm trying to remember." She took a right turn, driving slowly down a small residential street, the houses all old and weathered by years and years of rain. "Yes, there it is." She said, pointing straight ahead. "The white one."

I unbuckled my seatbelt, eager as she pulled into the driveway, opening the door and climbing out before she had time to come to a full stop. I heard her shout my name in protest before I slammed the car door closed, walking up the concrete path to the house. I reached it in no time, knocking loudly without hesitation. When no answer came I knocked again, my skin flushed with cold, my breath turning to vapor in the air. I heard rustling inside, a few swears then the sound of the lock clicking, the door opening a crack to reveal the tan face of Ricky, his black hair disheveled and his cheeks red.