● The Guilty Doctor

2 years ago....

Being a doctor isn't easy and I am not just talking about the hardwork one has to put behind it . To be in the hospital, everyday , being surrounded by oscillating good and bad news was something that the doctors were so used to . Their arms who remained busy in hour long surgeries were the same arms that had held the wallowing families of the deceased . But to be the family of the patient, was it easier ?

That day the renowned cardiologist, Abhimanyu Birla , didn't play the role of the doctor that he was so comfortable with . Instead he stood at the corner , waiting for the news like his family did.

Things had happened too fast - too quick for him to comprehend. One moment the priest announced that the muhurat was over and mentally appreciated his brother for running away and the very next moment , the loud shriek and they came out only to witness a dying Aarohi Goenka on the ground.

In the frenzied moment of putting her in the ambulance and bringing her to the hospital, everybody missed a lone figure who had been standing there the entire time . Well, everybody but Abhimanyu . He easily spotted his brother , devasted ,shocked, rooted in his place .

Neil didn't run away ?

But a look at his brother and he understood that his brother chose Aarohi over him . That would mean his brother truly loved . He felt guilty- guilty for trying to separate his brother from his love.

" Neil ...." slowly he approached him .
A tender arm around him and he finally broke down .
" Bhai ....b..bhai ...A..a...A..rohi. Arohi , will be f..f..ine ? "

Abhimanyu was numb . His doctor instincts has analyzed the possible damages that could take place and to say she would be fine would just be a false assurance. Instead he said ,

" Let's go to the hospital, shall we? " With that he carried , a wallowing Neil inside the car and drove to the hospital.

The entire corridor , before the operation theater, was numb as the Goenkas and the Birlas stood there for some news. As Abhimanyu reached there with Neil , he quickly remembered Aakshara. He knew how much his wife loved her sister. To be in such a situation, she will clearly be devastated. As much as he has his duties as a brother , he must be there with his wife. A quick scan in the crowd and he found Aakshara resting her head on Bade momma 's shoulders . The Goenkas stood grieving . All the merry faces that were just there yesterday. , were all gone , replaced by grieve ones . Throughout his aquintance with the Goenkas, this was the first time he saw the Manish Goenka crying . He dared not to approach the family - somewhere he felt guilty for their daughter's condition.

" Neil...." a shocked and confused Manjiri Birla, finally spotted her younger son .
As she ran up to him ..
" Neil ..Neil , beta , where were you ? " .

Abhimanyu knew that his mother's motherly instincts were too deep . She had already started considering Aarohi as her daughter and this might have crushed her truly . Yet she knew that her son needed her comfort .

" Maa...Aarohi ..maa ..I..I was coming. The t..t..traffic ...a..an..and I.. I..ran ..Maa ...Aarohi..." and Neil lost it . Both his eloquence and his composure .
Manjiri took Neil in her arms trying to soothe him .

In all these moments, they failed to notice Kairav approaching them . But seconds later he made his presence noticeable by pulling Neil away from Manjiri . Then ..then ...a sound of a slap reverberated across the entire hall.
Too stunned , too shocked, the entire families stood to witness an angry Kairav Goenka .

" How dare you " he roared . His emotions making him almost making his face red. For the first time , Abhimanyu Birla , would agree he was afraid .
" How dare you come here ? "
Neil who seemed to have regained his voice , fought for his love ..
" She ..Aarohi ..is my ....I love her "

That seemed to anger Kairav even more .
" you love her ? And it's for you she is here ? You left her. Left her standing there ..."

" I didn't leave her ...tell him Maa"

Manjiri tried to intervene ...." Beta he ..."

But Kairav didn't listen . By then, the hospital staffs have already gathered. Before the situation got even worse they intervened , " please sir, this is a hospital "

" Take them outside " .
Abhimanyu looked at his wife , hoped she would stop Kairav. But then he noticed the cold expression with she which she looked at Neil . So foreign for Aakshara to bear such look and he knew it was best to leave the Goenkas alone . One last look at his wife , and he pulled a reluctant Neil with .

" But ...bhai .."

" Please ..Neil.." With that he and the Birlas left the place .

Guilt was already killing him up.

From the author: Did have initial plans to write this hospital scene from Kairav 's point of view but then wrote from Abhimanyu 's. Please do comment how it was.