● They Hoped

2 years ago ...

Kairav Goenka stood before the closed door of his sister's room . Soon , very soon, his sister, his Aaru, would be married off , taken to a different house by her husband. He smiled when he heard the sound of giggles from inside. Aakshara was there, decking Aarohi up for her special day.

His sisters , Aakshu and Aaru , were two parts of his soul and after their parent's death , he took the responsibility of their well being upon his young shoulders. While Aakshu was his sister, Aarohi was, as he claimed, his first daughter . And today he stood there , ready to take his daughter to the altar.

Just then the door opened ,and out came a smiling Aakshara. On seeing her brother , her smile faltered a bit. She knew that it was a tough time for her brother. She had seen this expression on him , once , when it was the day of her marriage, but back then he still had Aaru with him .

" Bhaiya..." She said placing a reassuring hand on his. This sister of his , was always the understanding one. Kairav smiled . After giving her brother a reassuring nod , Aakshara left for downstairs, where the entire family was.

Kairav stepped inside his sister's room. There in the middle , stood his sister, clad in the red attire and just like the princess that their father claimed her to be .
" Bhaiya , how is it ? How do I like " Aaru said , twirling a bit , as much as the heavy skirt allowed her to .

For a moment, Kairav thought that the Woman in front of him , was the Aaru from 18 years back , who liked to be referred as 'Her Highness' and not the strict , competitive Dr. Aarohi Goenka , that the years had forced her to be. Neil had really done wonders to his sister and he mentally noted to thank him later.

" Beautiful. Neil would surely be amazed."

Aarohi blushed and was about to say something, when she noticed the moisture in his eyes and his rasp voice.
She didn't need to ask the reason for it as she ran and engulfed her brother in bear hug . Kairav too held tight , the pain of being separated clearly visible.

" Bas Bas , Aaru , don't cry now. You will spoil your make up. The Barati have already arrived , you wouldn't get time to rectify it " Kairav reasoned .

As Aarohi backed off a little , Kairav added, placing a hand on her cheeks ," I am going down stairs, the varmala , will begin soon . Be ready , alright ?" .

But as he went downstairs, he sensed something was wrong . Just then he heard Bade papa's voice .
" What do you mean , the groom's late . Why did he leave the hotel , at first place , itself", Manish Goenka roared.
As Kairav reached the scene , he saw the angry faces of the Goenkas , with Manish and Akhilesh being the vocal ones. He saw the Birlas trying to reason out with them . He saw Manjiri Birla, pleading them to understand that his son will come. He saw Aakshara 's face, tensed and confused, he saw Abhimanyu, the only one calm and composed.

" What is it ,Bade papa? Where is Neil ? "
Kairav asked as he couldn't make out the reason for the commotion.
" That is the question, Kairav. We don't know where is he but we do know he is not where he is supposed to be " Manish replied looking scronfully at the Birlas .

Kairav was angry - did Neil leave too? Could his sister face this situation, one again . He turned towards , Manjiri Aunty , whom he considered the most sensible Birla,
" Aunty , did.....did Neil run away ?" , he asked fearfully.
" No ..No , beta . He ..he just called , said he is struck ...t..traffic jam he said" .
" But why did he leave the hotel ? " Kairav was angry now , angry at Neil and he promised himself to behead Neil if he arrived too late .

" The varmala muhurat is passing by " the priest said from no where. He was about to answer him back when he heard a faint , "Bhaiya .."
His gaze went to stairs , where his Aaru was standing . Her expression was not the same one which he saw a few minutes ago but was replaced by a grave one.

" No one came to call , so I came here by myself . What is it Bhaiya, where is Neil ? " . But Kairav had no answer. He could see , how broken his sister was .
" Beta , Neil will come . He did call me .." Manjiri walked up to Aarohi.

" will he ?" Aarohi voiced out the question racing through everyone's minds. But they hoped that he did. Kairav couldn't see his sister shattered and broken.

So they hoped and hoped as the clock went ticking by.

From the author: How's the story progressing?