[ 02. ben gets banished ]

| y/n's pov |

THE NEXT DAY consisted of its usual early wake-up and running with Minho. Running the maze, food and water break, more running, another break, and more running.

When Minho and I got out of the Maze, we were met with Alby, who told us what had happened while we were gone.

Ben was stung by a Griever and had been sitting in the pit all day because he attacked Thomas. The worst part was, Ben had to be banished.

Later in the day, we all crowded around the Maze doors. Some of us, like Alby, Newt and I, held T-shaped poles. Minho came over with a crying Ben.

He looked horrible. Black goo dripped from his mouth, he was all sweaty, had bloodshot eyes and dark veins running around his body.

"Please, Minho! Alby!" Ben was pushed past us. "Y/N, please!"

I closed my eyes for a moment and took a deep breath. Gally, who stood beside me, put a hand on my shoulder for a moment. I gave him a small, thankful smile that dropped the immediate second I looked away.

Minho cut the ropes that had tied Ben's hands behind his head and Ben fell on all fours gasping for air. He started sobbing and coughed up more of the dark goo onto the dirt.

"No, no, please. Please don't. Please don't do it."

Minho looked to Alby, who nodded solemnly.

The Maze door started its first few rumbles and Minho threw the small pack into the corridor. The wind started blowing from inside and Ben crawled backwards. Minho stood off to the side with the guys who held the pointy spears.

"Poles!" Alby said loudly and they were all lowered.

"No. No. No." Ben protested and brought himself to his feet.

"Move in."

We started moving forward with the T-poles, forcing Ben into the Maze.

"No. No, no, no. Please." Ben begged, trying to push the poles away. "No. Please. Please. Please don't. No, I can get better! Please! Just listen to me! Please, no! Please, no! You don't under--"

"Push him in." Alby ordered and Ben was right at the doors now, which were closing.

"No, stop! I'll get better! I'll get better!"

I was more worried that Ben was going to get crushed by the doors, but we managed to get him in far enough that he would have no choice but to go in.

"No, no, no! Please!" Ben cried and the doors closed, locking him inside.

I closed my eyes and rested my head against my pole. Being a Runner, I had spent heaps of time with Ben over the previous two years.

I lifted my head a little and noticed Thomas standing at the edge of the group.

We were all quiet before Alby spoke up.

"He belongs to the Maze now."

And he left without another word.

Newt, Gally, Fry and Winston all left their T-poles leaning against the door and followed. Most of the other boys left too. Minho, however, stood staring at the ground a few feet away from me.

I carefully leant my pole against the door and started leaving. I noticed Thomas still standing, watching Minho. I stopped beside him.

"It's best we leave him for a minute." I said softly, looking Thomas in the eyes.

He had nice eyes.

"Okay." Thomas nodded and we headed towards the middle of the Glade together.

---