Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

Yes, truly every member of the media was there that day.

Honestly, Mal thought as she reached the limo and smiled at both Jay and Harry who had stationed themselves by the door. You'd think I was the first woman to ever give birth.

Maurice cooed softly as she placed him in his carseat, making sure to buckle him up as tightly as possible without hurting him.

What happened? Mal thought as her head snapped up and fury filled her body at the sound of her daughter's terrified cry. Ben didn't look too pleased either as Jay and Harry quickly beat Cameron to the punch and pulled the photographer back. That damn Gazelle! Why were they even here?

"Shh, shh," Mal said softly as she forced her glowing eyes to dim as she looked at her son. Maurice had started to whimper as he heard his sister's cries. "It's alright little man, your sister's alright. Your papa's got her. It's okay, Maman's got you. Nothing bad's going to happen, I promise."

No matter how badly she waned to storm up to the photographer and break his camera, no matter how badly she wanted to murder the man who made her daughter cry...her kids mattered more. Besides, she wasn't sure if the Queen was able to murder anyone.

Well...the Queen might not be able to do it but she had people to do it for her...like Jay. Or Harry. Or even Uma if she was so inclined and not pregnant...oh the plans she could come up with.

"Get in the car," Mal muttered to Ben, keeping her voice low as to avoid being recorded by the press.

"On it," Ben nodded and quickly got Stephanie set up in her car seat.

"Is she alright?"

"I think she's just frightened. The flash probably startled her more than anything."

Mal grit her teeth as she worked to avoid snapping at the photographer, who was still in the process of being yelled at by Harry and Jay.

"Remind me to give them a raise," Ben said as they piled into the limo.

"They don't work for you," Mal reminded him.

"Oh...right.." Ben said with a small sigh before going back to trying to comfort his daughter.

Mal couldn't help but smile at the sight. "It's okay sweetheart," she said softly. "The mean man's gone, it's just maman, papa, and your brother here. You're okay, we promise."

Stephanie whimpered but calmed down slightly. At the very least, she wasn't crying at the top of her lungs.

"There we go," Mal said gently as she gave her daughter a small smile. "It's okay. We've got you."

"Think a song might help?" Ben asked.

"You know any?" Mal asked as she looked over at her husband. "I mean, mom and dad would sing us to sleep at times but singing wasn't exactly top on the Isle's lesson plan."

Ben nodded. "Chad's one of my closest friends, I think I've got something that might work."

"Then go ahead," Mal said.

"Thanks," Ben said with a small smile before clearing his throat. "Lavender's green dilly dilly, lavender's blue. If you love me dilly dilly, I will love you..."

Both kids seemed to quiet down at the sound of their father's voice, Maurice having been whimpering softly as he heard his sister's cries.

...We left Cameron behind didn't we? Mal thought as the realization hit. I hope he was able to get a ride with Jay and Harry because otherwise...well we'll just send a limo to pick him up. And give him a raise. And more time off.