Return

MARCY
I decided to come home the next day.
I was terrified.
I knew my father would not go easy on me for running away. It wasn't the first time I'd run away, but last time social services were already checking up on our "family", so there was nothing he could really do about it.
But now....
Now he could kill me. And there was nothing to stop him.
I mean, it's not like I would have cared. I hated my life so much, I probably wouldn't have cared in the slightest whether or not I died. But there was one thing in my life that I didn't hate. And that one thing was pink, and beautiful, andand tasted like sugar. And I didn't want to loose her.
~
I opened the door slowly. I had Bonnie's number dialed on my phone, ready to press the call button if things got too bad. I tried to convince myself that maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe I could sneak up to my room without him noticing me. I realized that this was useless hope once it was too late. He was in the next room, and walked towards me as soon as he heard the door open. When he saw me, he froze in his steps, and I braced myself, putting up my arm to cover my face.
"Hi... Dad." I smiled.
He attacked me right away. I'll save most of the details. All that's important is that he had never hit me as hard as he did that night. I pressed the call button as soon as possible, but I wasn't conscious long enough to say anything. I passed out looking at Bonnie's profile picture.
~
I woke up in a hospital.
I had never been in a hospital before, and it was an odd experience. It smelled like chemicals and looked like it was made of snow. Far too much white. But sitting in the chair next to my bed was pink. My sugar. She looked like she was crying.
"Bonnie.." I croaked. Her head snapped up, and she leapt over and kissed me.
"Marcy! Marcy... Oh my glob, Marcy.. Are you okay? I was so worried! I looked up your address and sent the police as soon as I could."
"I can tell." I laughed. But that just made her cry harder.
"That's what I love about you, Marcy. You can make any situation, no matter how awful, slightly less so."