Pink Girl

BONNIE

I'm not good at flirting.

My way of getting Marcy to notice me was by repeating what she said in attendance and smiling like a dofus.

But it seemed to affect her pretty throughly, considering how she turned beet red and had to look away.

I noticed when she first walked in how beautiful she was. Her eyes were a shade of auburn that was nearly red, her skin was a gentle olive shade, and the way her hair framed her face was perfect.

But her expressions got me.

Her neutral expression showed a girl that had been worn down but still stood today. She was tried but strong.

It was gorgeous.

I decided to talk to her after school. I caught her in the hall right before she walked out the door. Literally caught her. I grabbed her shoulder. She snapped her head around in alarm, but relaxed when she realized it was me.

"Oh. Hey, Bonnie"

"Hey." I replied, trying to catch my breath. "You're new here, right? Want to get some coffee with me?" She seemed shocked at  my offer, but smiled and nodded.

~

At the coffee shop  she ordered a regular black coffee. I ordered a Carmel mocha. We had a few sips in silence before I started a conversation.

"Where did you move here from?"

"Las Vegas." She replied with a shrug.

"Las Vegas? Really? What's it like there?" I asked, leaning in closer. I was genuinely interested. I'd heard a lot about Las Vegas, and I wanted to know more.

"Not very good." She replied. "There are a lot of homeless people, and most of the population are sexist assholes who catcall anyone with breasts. The lights just mask it all, make it seem great."

I stared at Marcy. This girl was amazing. She was so poetic. But I had to break my stare.

"Do you like Colorado better than Las Vegas?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation mellow.

"By a lot." She smiled "people are friendlier here, and there's more space. I love it."

"Good. I love it too." I replied, before blushing and burying my face in my coffee.

~

By the time I had to leave, I had Marcy's number in my cell phone and a light feeling in my chest. I walked into the giant empty mansion I called home, and scampered straight up to my room. I turned on my music and laid on my bed, thinking of the star that I had encountered that day.