The Truth

MARCY
Dad told me not to go anywhere after school anymore, but this was too important. Bonnie deseverved to know everything. And I wanted to tell her everything. I had to. I called the landline phone, and Mindi picked up. I told her that I was going to spend some time with friends after school, and told me to go ahead.
I wanted to be with Bonnie.
And I needed to come clean to her.
~
BONNIE
After school, Marcy came up to my locker.
"Hey, Sugar. Want to go to the caves? I have some stuff to tell you."
She didn't have her normal stance that was full of confidence. Instead, she cowered with her hands in her pockets. She looked nervous.
"Of course." I said, putting my hand on her arm. "I'm a good listener."
~
MARCY
The instant we sat down at the cave, Bonnie gave me her full attention.
"This really seems to be eating at you, Star. Spill. I'll listen." She sat as close as she could to me, gazing up at me, with her hand resting over mine. I could smell her sweet scent. Like vanilla, and strawberries, and sugar. She smelled like candy. And in the best possible way. I sighed.
"Alright." I began. "You deserve to know where I came from, what my life was like, everything. I want you to know about me, if, you know, we're going to be together." Bonnie nodded.
"I agree. Go ahead, I'm listening." I took a deep breath and began.
"My mom was a really kind, shy, closed off kind of woman. She met my dad through a friend, and they never meant it to be anything serious. Then, after they had been together a year, I was born by mistake, and they were forced into a shotgun wedding. Dad had been cheating on her before they were married, and did so even more after the wedding. So, he started abusing us. Both me and my mom." I saw the shock and worry filling her face, so I made sure to lighten it.
"He doesn't do it as much anymore. It was mostly then. My mom died in a car wrek when I was ten, and it got better after that. He barely ever does it anymore."
"Marcy." Bonnie put her hand on my arm.
"He still did it. This is serious."
"I know. Just, please don't tell anyone. I can handle it." She looked doubtful and worried, but agreed.
"My life us much less eventful." She started.
"My mom and dad got married because my parents are both ritch and their parents wanted them to have the business deal sort of marriage. I was born soon after, and my parents hate each other to this day. That's pretty much it. My dad is barely home, and we have a house that's way too big and empty and depressing." She shrugged it off like it was nothing. But that sounded awful to me.
"So your parents have never liked each other?"
"They've never done anything but tolerate the other's existence."
"That's terrible. That's a household with no love."
"Well, from what it sounds like, so is yours." I smiled sadly.
"I suppose."
"So that means we have to have each other, right?" I was shocked for a moment. It was true. All I had to look forward to, the only positivity, was seeing Bonnie.
"Yeah." I replied. "Yeah, we do."
This time, she kissed me first. It was soft, kind, with the familiar smile and giggle on her lips that made me never want to break apart. I held her close to me, and the sudden lack if balance made us both fall over. She laughed, and I laughed along. For the first time in a long time, I had a reason to be happy.