~14~

Scott POV-

He glanced into the classroom labelled H9 and grinned as he spotted Jimmy staring at textbook. "Need some help, cod boy?"

The dark blonde looked up, brightening slightly as he smiled. "Hey, Scott. And no, if anybody needs help, it's you." He retorted as Scott sat down next to him.

"What're you looking at?" The cyan haired boy squinted at the page Jimmy was reading. It was total gibberish to him.

"Don't worry, this isn't what we're doing in a test, I'm just looking at next year's Spanish work." Jimmy reassured him. "I was planning on reviewing the basics again- that is, presuming that you remember anything at all."

"I remember 'vivir' is 'to live', 'caminar' is 'to walk', and 'correr' is.... 'To run'?" Scott guessed.

Jimmy raised both eyebrows. "I'm impressed, Major. I thought you'd have forgot it all." He teased.

"Oh, shush, LD." The cyan haired boy retorted playfully.

"Okay, guess this one. 'Nadar'." Jimmy read, covering the translation with one hand.

"Hm... I... have no idea." Scott admitted with a dramatic sigh.

Jimmy rolled his eyes. "It means 'to swim'. Okay, how about this one?" His brown gaze flicked to Scott briefly. "'Amar'. Do you know?"

"It sounds like something I've heard before... still no idea." Scott said with a shrug.

"It means 'to love'." Jimmy said quietly. "It sounds similar to 'te amo'. Do you know what that means?"

"I'm sure it means something similar." Scott looked at the book and then at Jimmy. "What does it mean?"

"'I love you'." Scott glanced away so Jimmy couldn't see his face going bright red. Honestly, I kind of wish he was actually saying that to me instead of reading a translation from a book.

"'Te amo'?" Scott tried, looking back in time to see Jimmy... blushing slightly? No, I must have gotten that wrong.

"Mhm. Yep. Pronounced it right." The dark blonde said quickly.

There was a short silence before Scott asked, "So... you said you had something you wanted to tell me?"

"Oh. Right. That." Jimmy paused. "I, um, I have a crush on someone." The dark blonde paused, for some reason looking panicked as Scott stared back at him. He likes someone else. He doesn't like me. Why did I think he would? Why would I think that he would? I'm so stupid. I'm so STUPID. "And it's-"

He cut Jimmy off as the dark blonde tried to continue. "Why is that relevant to me in any way?" Scott blinked in surprise. As upset as he was, he hadn't intended for his voice to sound so cold.

"Well, that's because- well, we're really good friends, and-" Scott interrupted him again.

"You think we're friends?" What? No! Why did I say that?! He glanced at Jimmy quietly.

Jimmy just looked confused. "Well... yeah."

"Where'd you get that idea?" Scott spat. Scott, what on Earth are you doing? Stop saying those things!

"Well..." The dark blonde blinked, looking more hurt than anything. "I mean, we hang out all the time, and you've called me your friend before, and- and you gave me the, um- the poppy badge, and-"

"I only called you my friend so Lizzie wouldn't get annoyed. Don't tell me you actually thought I wanted to be your friend." Scott snapped. There was a pause as Jimmy stared back, looking as if he was about to cry, and Scott felt a twinge of pity. He didn't know why he was saying any of these things. None of them were true. "Oh, you did think I wanted to be your friend. You poor thing."

"Why would you lie then? Why are you saying this? We are friends!" Jimmy protested.

"Has it ever occurred to you that we're all only friends with you because you're Lizzie's brother?" He stared as Jimmy stood up somewhat silently, making the shaky breath-like sound that people only made when they were trying not to cry but wanted to breathe.

Scott froze as he realised where he'd gotten the line from, wincing slightly.

——

*flashback*

"You really thought we were friends?" Joey asked, one eyebrow raised.

"Well... yeah?" Scott said with a shrug, staring at the floor.

"I was only friends with you because you're Xornoth's stupid brother. Now that he doesn't like you anymore, I have literally zero reason to be your friend anymore." His.... Friend?... spat.

*end of flashback*

——

Scott reached out and grabbed Jimmy's wrist. "Jimmy, I'm-"

"Don't. Touch. Me." Jimmy said quietly, each word laced with venom as he snatched his arm away and stormed out of the classroom, leaving Scott stood by himself.

——

He sat on his bed, closing his eyes briefly. Scott had left the classroom as soon as he was sure Jimmy had left the building, and he'd spent the whole walk home thinking about how stupid he'd been to say any of those things.

The sound of a notification made him open his eyes as he glanced at his phone, switching it on to see that he had gotten about ten messages from Joel.

Joel (aka. Simp)

Text me when you've asked them
out and let me know how it goes

Joel (aka. Simp)

You asked them out yet? 👀

Joel (aka. Simp)

I'm gonna presume they said yes and
you're just talking to them

Joel (aka. Simp)

Stop ignoring me, Major >:0

Joel (aka. Simp)

You okayyyy?

Joel (aka. Simp)

Did they say no?

Joel (aka. Simp)

Scott?

Joel (aka. Simp)

If you don't respond I'm going to assume you're dead

Joel (aka. Simp)

Apparently Jimmy's upset about
something, maybe try and comfort
him or something? Idk you two
are, like, besties, soooo-

Joel (aka. Simp)

I'm gonna presume they said no,
I'm sorry Scott :(

Scott glanced at his phone before typing a simple response.

I didn't even get to ask him. I messed
up. Said some things I didn't mean.
Received: 16:35
Read: 16:36

I ruined everything
Recieved: 16:36
Read: 16:36

I'm a terrible friend
Recieved: 16:37
Read: 16:37

Chapter summary: Scott is an absolute fool who misunderstood Jimmy and cannot handle rejection