~3~

Scott POV-

He looked up as Jimmy and Lizzie walked into the classroom, waving at the latter and shooting a wary smile at her brother.

The teacher glanced at Jimmy, eyebrows raised. "Ah, yes, that's right, we have a new student, don't we? Now, where should I put you... Miss Liqua-Drai, would you mind if your brother sat next to you?"

"Not at all." Lizzie said brightly, beaming.

"Well then, take a seat." The teacher instructed, watching her with slight amusement.

Lizzie sat down in her normal spot next to Scott while Jimmy sat on the other side of her.

"How was... I wanna say, um... Geography, maybe?" Scott guessed, one eyebrow raised.

"History, actually." Lizzie corrected him. "And it was good. Although I have a feeling that Jimmy didn't understand half of the things the teacher said."

"Half? I understood like two words of it." Jimmy said with a laugh.

"Not surprising. History is one of the hardest subjects." Scott commented.

Lizzie rolled her eyes as Jimmy nodded in agreement. "It's not if you pay attention, which you two clearly don't." The pink haired girl said, half affectionate, half annoyed.

"Hey, I pay attention! History is just.... Confusing. And boring." The only history Scott was interested in was mythology- the battle between the gods Aeor and Exor, how Rivendell had supposedly frozen over back when it was a kingdom and not a city. Not the boring stuff, like how Rivendell used to produce types of wool, and how Rivendell had a strong belief in magic at one point. "Mythology is better." He added.

"Mythology?" Jimmy asked, looking confused.

"You know, the gods Aeor and Exor fighting and having reincarnations, Rivendell freezing over- stuff we can't prove happened, so we assume that it's a story." Scott said with a shrug.

"Oh, wow, that sounds way more fun than 'Rivendell had a trade route between Mezalea, House Blossom, many other kingdoms and itself'," Jimmy said, imitating their History's teacher's slow voice.

Scott muffled his laugh by covering his mouth with his hands. "You sound exactly like our teacher." He muttered, removing his hands from his mouth and lowering his voice as the teacher's gaze landed on them. The teacher slowly turned away and Scott let out a breath he didn't know he'd been holding.

"Why are you so bothered about the teacher?" Jimmy whispered.

"Surprisingly enough, Scott hasn't gotten a detention yet, and hopefully it's because he wants to keep it that way." Lizzie interjected. "Now pay attention, you two." She scolded.

"Got it, Your Highness." Scott muttered with a roll of his eyes.

"I heard that!" She elbowed him playfully. "But seriously, pay attention- especially you, Jimmy!" The dark blonde pulled a face that was something along the lines of 'You were telling Scott off, why am I in trouble?', but reluctantly dragged his gaze away from Lizzie and Scott and glanced at the teacher.

——

He sat down at the table with a yawn. "Well, Maths was boring. Thank god it's recess." Scott blinked sleepily.

"Jesus Christ, mate, you look like you need some sleep." Joel commented, moving his hair out of his eyes.

"Thanks." Scott said with a snort of laughter, rolling his eyes.

Joel glanced up as Lizzie walked over. "Hey Lizzie!"

"Hey, Joel." She sat down next to him, followed by Jimmy who, surprisingly enough, sat next to Scott.

The blonde gave Jimmy an odd look, and Lizzie's brother glared. "I'll move if you want me to." Jimmy said with a roll of his brown eyes.

Scott frowned. "I didn't say a word." He said with a huff.

"Your face told me all I needed to know." Jimmy said, pulling a face.

"Alright, you two, stop it." Lizzie said, sighing. "Just try to get along."

"I was trying to, but apparently my face doesn't like Jimmy." Scott shot back, glaring at Jimmy.

"Hey, I was just saying, blondie." Jimmy said with a shrug.

"What-" he stared at Jimmy. "You're blonde as well!"

"Barely though." Lizzie's brother gestured to his dark blonde hair. "I think it's closer to brown, personally."

"No, it's definitely blonde." Lizzie said with a grin.

Jimmy shot a glare at Lizzie, before turning to Joel. "So, about what I was going to tell you before-"

"James Liqua-Drai, I SWEAR to God, I will quite simply kill you." Lizzie said, although her threatening tone didn't meet her eyes.

"I might do it purely because you're calling me James." Jimmy said dryly.

"Try it, see what happens." Lizzie challenged, grinning. She quickly changed the subject and spent the rest of lunch quizzing Jimmy about their History and Maths lessons.

At some point, Jimmy and a very reluctant Joel swapped seats.

"I wonder what she said." Joel muttered.

"Probably how annoying you are." Scott joked.

"You think so?"

"I-" he sighed. "No, Joel. It was a joke."

"I know. I'm way too awesome for her to be saying that about me." Joel said smugly.

"Maybe she was talking about your massive ego." Scott suggested wryly.

Lizzie glanced over with a frown, breaking off from quizzing Jimmy about the Lost Empire's exports and temples. "What're you guys talking about?" She asked curiously.

Jimmy pulled a face, rolling his eyes at the undertone of anxiety in his sister's voice.

"Oh, nothing. Oh, by the way..." Scott zoned out as Joel started talking to Lizzie about something.

He instead started thinking to himself about random things, like what he wanted to do after school, how he needed to finish his Geography homework- how was he meant to study mangrove swamps when there was like two in the whole country?!-, how he needed to...

Scott's thoughts trailed off as he noticed Jimmy watching him with an odd expression. As soon as the dark blonde boy noticed Scott staring at him, he immediately looked away, joining in on Lizzie and Joel's conversation.

That was... weird.

I have decided that canonically Scott's natural hair colour is blonde. I think irl his natural hair colour is a browny-blonde colour but oh well 🤷‍♀️