Stepping Up, Chapter 83

"What is your problem?" Tibs demanded of Mez, grabbing his arm and forcing him to stop.

"Tibs," Jackal said, tone sharp.

"You keep going. Me and Mez need to talk."

"Is this an appropriate place for such a discussion?" Khumdar asked.

They were halfway between the mountain and the town.

"It's better than once he leaves to go to his fancy house, and I can't get him to explain himself," Tibs replied.

Mez yanked his arm out of his grip. "I don't have to fucking explain myself to you." He didn't move from where he stood.

"When you keep snapping at me for no reason, yeah, you do."

"Tibs," Carina said, worriedly.

He opened and snapped his mouth on what he was about to say, swallowing his anger instead of directing it at her. "We just need to talk," he told her.

"Yeah," Mez said, mockingly, "Tibs just needs to tell me what I'm supposed to do."

They glared at each other in the following silence.

"If you're going to hit one another," Jackal said, "go to the training field." Then he walked away. Khumdar followed and, after looking at them in concern, so did Carina.

Tibs waited a few seconds. "Well?"

"Well, what?"

"You going to tell me what the problem is?"

"You mean what my problem is with you doing whatever the fuck you want and never having to pay for it?"

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"You get to have—" Mez motioned to Tibs. "—everything you have, and it doesn't cost you anything. You steal and everyone treats you like some hero. You lie to everyone and no one gives a fuck!"

The surprise at the accusation kept Tibs from stopping the archer. "Cost nothing?" he said as Mez caught his breath. "I nearly died. Each time! I burned, I starved, I went without sleep for longer than I can count! Just because you didn't see it, because you weren't there. Doesn't mean it didn't happen! I don't lie any more than I have to. I fought for the town, was shot, I—" he closed his mouth. "Too many people died. What were you doing while we were fighting for our lives here? Enjoying the best food? The best ales? Your girl?"

"I was trying to get back here!"

Tibs snorted ."Oh right, Because you hate all those nobles things you now get to do."

"I do," Mez snarled. And the anger in the words made Tibs step back. The archer was shaking, his clothing smoking.

"I thought—" Tibs's sarcastic tone died and Mez made fists. He let Water cool him and watched his friend. "I thought," he said keeping his tone neutral, "that was what you wanted."

Mez closed his eyes. "I thought," he replied, tone clipped, "that I'd have them once I reached Epsilon and had proved myself. Once I went home between working for the guild. Not that I'd have this taken from me." He motioned around them angrily.

"They can't take this from you," Tibs said cautiously. "The guild—"

"Has other dungeons," Mez snapped. "That can take a Rho fire archer. Dungeons that didn't try to eat everyone who went in. With a town that didn't nearly get destroyed. One that isn't going to be filled with criminals who are a bad influence on me!"

Tibs tried to find something to say. He hadn't expected not to be the reason Mez would ultimately give for his anger. "If your angry at them, why are you yelling at me?"