Chapter Nine

6:23 PM

6:23 PM

"Right, you can book my meeting tomorrow, and also book an interview for Catherine Moore."

I speak to my assistant as I walk down the lobby of my home, I pass by the guest bedroom to see the bedroom door open and the bed empty. It has not even been touched. I rose a brow, slowly pushing the door wider.

I whisper Catherine's name, did she run away?

I look around the room, the bathroom was open which gave me the open view that she was not there. I then see the closet, where the door is slightly open and a small light. I push the door only slightly open and see Catherine sleeping in the corner of the walk-in closet. A pillow on the ground and no covers.

What on earth is she doing sleeping in a closet?

There's a bed.

And not to mention that she slept until evening. It is six p.m.?

My brother, on the other hand, despises her. Ares despises Catherine and has constantly told me what a lousy friend and influence she is on Alexandra. But, for some reason, I think she was just a wonderful friend. I could tell by the way she talks about Alex and how she blames herself for everything.

My brother would never allow her in the family or even close.

So, you could understand the shock that craved my face when I saw her in the depths of his home. I rest against the door, folding my arms, thinking about what to do. I switch off my phone and slide it into my back pocket, completely forgetting that my assistant was on the other line.

I kneel down and push a strand of Catherine's fallen hair behind her ears. I notice purple bruises on her gorgeous features; did her husband cause this? Is that why she fled?

She shuffles around and completely turns her face, revealing additional bruises crawling down her neck. Hickey? Fingerprints around her neck, scarlet smears that were not blood.

I gently pick her up in my arms, afraid to wake her. I walk back to the bed and settle her down onto the sheets. "No...no Max please..."She pushes my hand away from her body, whispering. I instantly remove them without saying anything. As thoughts go through my head, I pull the blankets over her body and exit the room, closing the door behind me.

"No...no Max please..."

I am a qualified lawyer, I'm not stupid.

I dealt with cases of divorce; I specialise in them.

Cases of abuse.

I know all the signs, but she has not showed them all. Maybe he cheated on her, abused her mentally? Why do I care? I don't give a shit. This is not my place to care. So why am I giving her a place to stay? A home? A job? This is not like me.

I barely know her.

But I know Alex, I love Alex and I know she'd be very upset with me if I left her in a homeless shelter alone. I make my way to the kitchen, opening my fridge to take out my pills. I see my housekeeper walking inside through the front door, a smile on her face as her daughter follows behind her.