This Is The Worst Wedding

Start from the beginning

“I love you, more than you can ever imagine,” Asher said once he pulled from the kiss.

“I love you too, Asher. You have no idea.” Lilah replied, chewing on her lip.

She had never been so serious with him like this in a long time. Standing close to him, a tingling pressure filled her lungs. It was exactly three months ago since they last shared a kiss. Asher couldn’t help but cuddle her in a tight hug. He couldn’t believe she accepted him in front of everyone. Lilah held onto him in the same manner.

‘Krrakakakakaaa!’

The sound of thunder cracked, as they released themselves immediately. The crowd turned up at once, wondering what that was. The dark clouds spat out beads of water upon the Guests.

“Is this marriage cursed or something? What’s happening?” some ladies cried, grabbed their handbags, placed them over their beautiful-styled hair. As it is, they considered rain to be a blessing. Puddles clinked as the rainfall became heavier.

“Who’s that?” An elderly man, who was also a guest, asked a small boy.

“The Alpha!” he replied.

“And what just happened?”

“I think he is the man that Lilah will marry. She’s destined to be the Alpha’s mate, and not his Beta. He was her late sister’s mate!”

“What are you saying?” He asked, confused.

“Let’s find a safe place, sir!” The boy screamed to his left ear, running away, avoiding the chilly showers. Surprised at his attitude, the elderly man followed.

‘Krrakakakakaaa!!’

The bridesmaids separated, leaving the caged doves under the drizzling rain. The birds released themselves from the cages, hovering where Asher and Lilah were standing. A cameraman took pictures of them and flipped an umbrella on. Saving himself from the daggers of the sky.

Before the birds completed their job at the scene, one of them left his stuff on Conan’s head. Rose saw it happen and rushed to him at once.

“WhatheeWhetherursed in annoyance when she handed a pink napkin with Conan Weds Lilah across it. “Thanks, Rose,” he said, wiping it off. “Did I get it all?”

Conan bent closer, and she inspected his thick black hair. “Yes!”

“Does it stink?”

She sniffed his head while she perceived the fragrance of it. “No, you’re okay.”

He raised his head at her, and his eyebrows dropped. “I’m... I’m sorry about the other time.”

“It’s nothing. You are my boss... I can’t be angry with you for too long.” she spoke gently, despite the whizzing sound of the rain.

“That’s true... Would you like to come with me? My car is somewhere close.” Conan pointed to a distance, avoiding the rain spits.

“Sure,” she smirked, and he held her hand.

‘Krrakakakakaaa!!!’

Looking at everyone running hotter-scatter, Asher and Lilah chuckled. People ran for cover outside, opening their umbrellas as another thunderclap bolted. The drizzling poured faster. The hanging balloons danced to the spray and one could hear the murmuring of the rain through the plastic tables and chairs and the washing waves. It sounded like the buzzing of angry bees and felt like popcorn showered on the rooftop.

The air ominous blew through the shroud of mystery. Asher turned eastward watching various birds rushing wildly in flocks. Lilah’s hair danced to the tune of the wind, and her smile was beautiful. His hand gently placed a strand of her raven-black hair beside her standing ears and his eyes focused on hers.

“Just hold me and never leave me again, Lilah.”

“I won't, I promise. Why did you come?” She asked with a suppressed laugh.

“Whenever I think of you, I know that I’m going to cause you pain at some point, but I want to be with you and be by your side. Today, I came because being around you and not around you drives me nuts. Your absence kills me more than living without Asena. And only you can help me heal.” a soft sigh escaped his lips as he watched Lilah’s blue eyes cloud. Asher guessed she was crying in the rain, but the smile across her lips was a prettier sight. “What about you? Why did you serve me the drink?”

“I felt more alone without you... Even when Conan was there with me. And right now, if I am your mate, I would rather spend one lifetime with you... than face all the ages of this world alone.” She sniffed and chuckled at the same time. “It is difficult to admit, but I fell in love with you when we were together and deeper in love with you when we were apart, Asher. I know it’s stupid to say and wish for, but I want you. I want us.”

“Come on, it’s not stupid, it’s love. Love is not by finding the perfect person. But by learning to see an imperfect person, perfectly. I see you perfectly now, Lilah. I should have understood you from the unset.”

Lilah knew in her heart that Conan wanted her. He’d wanted her so much, but Asher deserved her. Deep in thought, Lilah didn’t lift her face, but Asher’s eyes met a wince of her sincere smile.

Walking next to each other, Asher grabbed her hands in his in a tight grip. Lilah caught him in between. There was a gleam in Asher’s black eyes that made chills crawl down her spine. Amidst the Petrichor scent of the rain, she could perceive his gamey aura that filled the air.

“Let’s complete the ritual, should we?” His face pointed skywards, watching.

“Sure,” she replied, and they walked hand in hand.

The cameraman was still in his shell-like umbrella, taking outstanding pictures of the couples under the rain.

There was a sacred rock standing by the bank of the beach. The waves crashed through it repeatedly as their feet planted on the cool soil. Getting to where the rock was, Lilah took a stone and wrote his name on it.

A smile made its way to Asher’s lips as his true intentions busted through. He collected the stone, carving out hers. This way, nothing would come between them, even in the next life. It was the final ritual for a new werewolf couple. A part that was skipped during their previous marriage. After writing their names on it, the couple went back to holding each other’s arms.

Just then, a victorious howl distorted Lilah. She turned to the distance and her blade eyes caught up with a brown wolf walking in an invisible field of roses. It was Asena.

She wore a confident face, without a speck of fear, worry, or threat. With a rose between her mouth. Lilah smiled and a drop of rain watched in her eyes. Lilah wiped her face with her palms then, she realized the wolf had vanished.

The smile on her lips widened, knowing that Asena was now at peace. All she wanted all along was for everyone to move on with their lives, especially her and Asher. Gazing at the scattered chairs and flowers, a soft giggle escaped Lilah. “This is the worst wedding.”

“Yes, and the best.” Asher couldn’t agree more.