10 || Sweet victory

• • •

• • •

Eve woke up early the next day feeling much better than the night before. Her fever had disappeared entirely and the pain from her leg had lessened a lot. She was angry that Katniss had left despite Eve's pleas not to do so and the way that she had done it, but she knew that if the two were to switch places she'd have done the same thing.

Katniss had been asleep when she woke up, a small metal container in her hand. She had a large gash on her forehead that Eve cleaned it, applying the paste to her forehead before bandaging it.

"Eve... are you better?" Katniss suddenly said, scaring Eve who had been sitting at the entrance of the cave. Eve turned slowly and nodded. Katniss was confused, if Eve was feeling better why did it look like she had been crying?

"You can't do that, Katniss. You can't do that to me." Eve said angrily, tears forming in her eyes. 

"Your leg looks better. Is it okay?" Katniss asked, ignoring what Eve had said. 

"I don't give a damn about my leg! You could've died out there!" Eve paused, choking on her words, "Don't you understand? I would never let you die for me! Why would you do that?"

"For me!" Katniss suddenly blurred, the two both falling silent. 

"What?" Eve asked. 

"I did it for me. I just didn't want to be without you." Katniss admitted. 

"Why?" Eve asked, searching Katniss' face, desperate for an answer. 

"I don't know! Because..." Katnis began but was cut off as Eve smashed her lips onto her.

It was different from the first one, harder and more needy. The two pulled apart from one another, both knowing that something had changed in how they felt about each other. 

"I didn't do that because they're watching. I did that because I wanted to." Eve whispered, not wanting the cameras to hear her before leaning in slowly and kissing her one more time.

"Since I was five years old. I've painted you a hundred times." She admitted shyly. 

"I know. I've seen th-" Katniss began but stopped suddenly, the rain outside had suddenly stopped and the sun was now shining into the cave through the sticks and vines. 

"Oh no." She muttered. She knew this meant something was about to happen.

"He's gonna drive us back to the lake now. Once it gets down to the final four, he always does something to get everyone together. Can you walk?" She asked, urgently packing everything into the backpacks. Eve nodded, getting up with only a little struggle.