09 || Cave

• • •

• • •

"Just a little further. There's a cave up here." Katniss said as it started getting even harder for Eve to walk. About a minute later the two reached the cave. Its mouth is the only part above ground meaning it would make for a fairly good hiding spot. Katniss helps Eve sit down inside before collecting a bunch of pine needles and leaves to lay on the cold floor.

She lays out both the sleeping bags from her pack and Eves. 

"You need to rest," Katniss said as she helped Eve lay on one of the sleeping bags, cringing as she saw Eve's pus filled wound. 

"Sorry, I know it's-"

"No it's fine, I'm just not a big fan of pus," Katniss replied, sitting beside Eve. 

"Ya know, for such a lethal person you're kind of squeamish," Eve replied as she looked up at Katniss. 

"Your fevers still up. And we have to get some more food in you." Katniss replied, placing her hand on Eve's forehead. 

"I'm not hungry," Eve replied, the thought of food made her nauseous.

"It wasn't a request," Katniss replied. 

"Katniss, thanks for finding me," Eve said after a moment of silence. 

"Twelves have to stick together, right?" Katniss replied jokingly but Eve grabbed her hand, frowning at her. 

"Listen, if I don't make it-"

"Shhh," Katniss said, shaking her head as if the idea were crazy. 

"But if I don't-" Eve began again but was cut off when Katniss placed her lips on hers. The two were both shocked, it was both of their first kisses.

"You're not going to die, okay? I forbid it." Katniss said after the two pulled away. 

"Okay," Eve replied breathlessly before she began shivering, the fever was getting worse. 

"Get some rest," Katniss replied as she placed the other sleeping bag over Eve. 

"What about you?" Eve asked. 

"I will, in a bit." She replied to which Eve nodded, allowing herself to fall asleep.

Katniss jumps up when she hears the sound of a parachute. She leaves the cave and catches the parachute before bringing it back inside. She opens it to reveal a hot broth. "Eve, wake up." She says as she lightly shakes Eves's shoulders.

It takes a couple of seconds but Eve sits up and leans against the wall. 

"How long was I out?" She asks. 

"Not that long. Drink this." She said as she handed the broth to Eve. Eve eyed it for a second but after seeing Katniss' glare she started to slowly drink the broth.