A Nightmare and A Memory

5 months later

"Valerie!" his voice resonated as his hand reached for mine. I tried to grasp it but it slipped away. "Twain!" I screamed andscreamed but all i could see was drakness. Darkness, darkness, darkness and not a single light. I screamed.

--

Jolting up, I sent the blankets to fall to the floor. It was midnight and the sky was a prestine black.It depicted exactly how I felt, starless and so lonely. The fullmoon seemed to hang on the windowsill, spilling its moonlight from the window, staining the room a dim yellow. I panted, still thinking of the nightmare. “That was just a dream…” I soothed myself, nevertheless it was to no avail.  “Twain...” his name echoed in my mind yet it reassured me; it felt safe in my mouth. I remebered how I would wake up at night, and be comforted by a man that loved me. How I would sleep by his side, hearing his voice as it drifted me to sleep. How I would wake up in the morning, know that it was all a dream and that Twain would still be by myside. Tears were at its bay. I took the blankets and pulled it over me, huddling myself in it. Sadness glistened in my eyes, my throat seemed to burn as the tears trickled down my cheeks. 

I tossed and turn, trying to cry myself to sleep. Hours later I was still on the bed, eyes red and puffy. Was it the nightmare that kept me awake? Was it the loneliness? Or was it the thought of living without Twain anymore? I didn’t know. All I did know was that I simply could not sleep and needed to run away from this bad dream. I stood up, taking my coat off the coat hanger. “Get out, get out.” I thought to myself “Just get out of this awful room.”  I inched my way to the door, wiping the tears off my face. Suddenly, as I wiped my eyes, a white figure caught my attention. My eyes widened. My heart galloped. Cold sweat slided down my back with this belief. I froze in my position, standing with my hands on the door knob. “T-twain?” the words were silent and hung in my throat, thinking over if it could possibly be true. In one swift movement, I spun around, my eyes scanning the whole room. There was no one. “Must have been my imagination..” I thought. All the more reasons for me to leave the room. However, as I closed the door shut, I was almost certain I saw him for real.