Chapter 12 : Never Ending Story

CW : Mention of throw up
*
      "You look very pretty," Peter smiled at you.

       "I look like a watered down scene kid." You replied looking down at your outfit.

       "Emo!" Tony yelled, walking past the kitchen.

       "Thanks, Tony!" You screamed back.

    "I'm swinging," Peter grabbed your arm and brought you out to the balcony

    "Peter, I hate swinging." You told him firmly.

    "And I hate taking forever," he replied and scooped you up so you rested securely in his arm.

    "If you're swinging, you're buying!" You yell over the whipping wind. He nodded and hopped of the ledge.

*

"I never want to do that again," you complain, brushing your hair down to flattening it out.

"Can't you fly?" He asked while he purchased tickets. On the pier was a pop-up amusement park and arcade. Brightly colored mechanic rides with pulleys and wobbly seats scattered the shoreline. In the back a ferris wheel stood tall and intimidating. In between each ride was a stall or booth with mini-games, photobooths or arcade machines. You were in awe at the smells coming from each food stall - pizzas, pretzels, hotdogs and funnel cake.

"I can but doesn't mean I like too," you reply.

"You don't like your powers?" Peter observed and handed you a roll of bright blue ride tickets.

"Not much," you respond, shoving the tickets in your pocket.

"I think they're pretty cool," he replied.

"They're not very cool with little control," you explained.

"Yes but don't you have Mr. Loki teaching you?" He pointed out. You nodded in response as you looked around the pier.

     "So I brought something," you reached into your bag, hoping it didn't break on the way here. You pulled out a white camera and a small cardboard box of instax film.

       "A camera," he observed.

      "Excellent observation skills, spider." You tease and hand him the camera. You carefully unboxed the film and handed that to him as well.

       "Am I in charge of the picture taking?" He asks.

       "Yes please, my photography skills are lacking," you explain. He nods in response and held out his arm. You look down for a second, you could see the regret and fear of rejection start to flood into his chocolatey brown eyes. Careful not to take too much longer, you linked your arms with his.

       "Which ride first?" You both took turns picking rides. Although you hated the extreme ones, he hated them more. You continued to pick the ones that made his skin flush to a pale, papery white.

"You hate me." He whined over the wind whipping in your faces as a ride looped you upside down.

"Of course," you grinned, shooting a wink his way. The pale of his cheeks heated up to a pink and he looked away quickly.

This torture went on for about another hour or so until finally his stomach couldn't take it anymore.

"How can you be eating?" Peter looked up at your plate of food. A soft pretzel with hot cheese along with a slice of pizza and a blue slushy to wash it down. You shrugged and continued to tackle the mountain of food. No one knew that you hadn't eaten during your grief. Nobody knew that you could not eat without throwing it all up.

*

    "You're really good at ring toss," Peter laughed as you skillfully tossed blue plastic rings onto rusted silver milk bottles. The repetitive ringing caught the attention of the attendant  who was aimlessly on his phone.

     "Real good," the attendant said through an accent. You looked up, he winked. You shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

   "Thanks, Peter." You turn to Peter and gave him the most desperate look you could muster.

    "Of course..babe?" He replied in a confused tone to which you nodded. The attendant grunted and looked back down at his screen. You mouthed a quick, "Thank you" to Peter and continued to toss the rings.

You ended up winning a panda bear and the creepy attendant's phone number scrawled on a greasy brown napkin.

"This is repulsive." You held the napkin up and showed it to Peter.

"I don't blame him, you are beautiful." He said quietly, picking the napkin from your hand and crumpling it into a ball.

"Oh yeah? What else am I?" You asked him while holding your panda in your arms like a baby.

"An angry girl. But you're angry about all the right things. Its admirable. How much you care. And you are very smart." He says.

"No as smart as you," you reply, looking up at him. He met your eyes. No words just eye contact as the two of you walked.

*

"Thank you for a fun day," you spoke. He smiled, scooping ice cream into bowls for the two of you.

"I'm glad we could get you out of the tower." He replied. You felt a pang in your chest. Your mind fogged with memories of Pietro.

"Hey are you ok?" He slid your bowl of ice cream and mountains of sweet toppings towards you.

"I miss him," you told him.

"I know." He responded. Somehow that was what brought you the most comfort. Sure your friends had been great company the night before. And the Avengers have been there for you every step of the way but with Peter, he just knew. In his eyes, you see it. Something so familiar.

"I know," he repeated.

*

Peter has my heart

Peter has my heart.

Oli <3