Chapter 34: One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

Old worn out eyes that were so-alike to her aunt's stared back at Sera

Old worn out eyes that were so-alike to her aunt's stared back at Sera. But the woman in front of Sera wasn't her aunt. It was some patient at the clinic who was suspected of being a critic, rebel or traitor-not that it mattered to her, they were all the same to the President.

"Tha-thank you for listening." The woman wheezed out, struggling to get her words out. Another similarity to her aunt but looking at the woman in front of her whose name Sera had chosen not to remember, she was a stranger and Sera was grieving. "Most people would ignore or brush it aside and just..."

"I understand." She parroted the words she said all the time. "I understand how hard it can be especially with the changing times and it can feel like the Senate and the..." She paused for a second before picking up where she left off. "The President doesn't care. I understand."

"It must be harder in the districts." The woman commented with teary eyes on the verge of tears. "I just thought..." She sniffed. "Minister Thistlewood would understand our plight. I feel a little used. My children and my husband..."

Sera only nodded along to the woman's musings. Her eyes wandered to the woman's untouched tea with petals floating on it that reminded her of a foxglove with the shade of a lavender flower but they weren't foxgloves at all, they were a Capitol creation. There was also a half-dead bouquet next to her bedside.

With her leather gloves hand, she gently pushed the saucer towards the frail woman. "Your tea is getting cold. It won't taste good cold."

The woman smiled in thanks and reached for her teacup, hesitating in the last second. "This tea..." She held the cup to her lip, not taking a sip just yet but instead smelling the fragrant warm drink.

Sera stared at the woman unphased. She was always ready for their suspicion these days. She took a sip of her own drink while motioning the woman to carry on. Her tea was bitter and unlike the woman's was different and something familiar. Red rose petals floated on top of her drink as she set down her teacup.

"Something wrong Mrs Songtree?" She queried with a friendly smile.

"Not at all." The woman laughed a little in response. She was embarrassed for making the 'Flower of Panem' worry for someone so insignificant like her but it was nice. "It's just, I've never had tea like this. Did you grow the flowers yourself?"

"Yes." Sera lied. "It's a splice between lavender and another plant that's escaped my mind but I'll be sure to tell you next time I visit." There wouldn't be a next time and she was sure of it, the woman just didn't know it yet and she never would. "Do you not like it?" She asked carefully, setting aside her empty teacup.

"No. Not all. I was just curious. It's really nice and relaxing. I wondered if I could get some for my husband later on."

"Oh," Sera's painted lips grew wider into a smile as turned her back to the woman. "We could have tea together. All three of us."