Answers Hunters Angels and Names

Tanya and I used to be two average girls who went to an average high school and did average things with average people. Nothing exciting ever happened in our lives. Then one day, she had the brilliant (and I use that term loosely) idea to sneak into her grandmother's basement and read the books she'd always forbid us from reading. I told her I didn't want to. I told her that it wasn't a good idea. But she didn't listen to me.

In fact, Tanya never listened to me. It was always "what could go wrong?" and "don't be such a baby!" 

In a way, I'm glad she didn't. If she had, I wouldn't be doing my part to save the world. Even though "saving the world" usually put me in situations like this one.

His eyes were cold and dark. Hungry. Lustful. Desiring. I could feel them hunting me, even though I couldn't see his face. I considered myself psychic, but I didn't have to be to know the thoughts running through his mind.

Those nasty, evil thoughts.

Maybe, just maybe, I could outrun him. Outsmart him. Get him off of my back. Maybe, if I moved my feet just right, I could get away without him even touching me. Psh, who was I kidding? That's not going to happen. I've never been athletic and I've certainly never been smart. Those were my two biggest faults. Those, and my habit of not telling people where I was going. The only person who knew I was out here in this dark, desolate forest was Tanya. And she was the one that set this whole thing up.

His sinister smile crept up onto his face like a lion on its prey. He's the hunter, I'm his food. I felt the way his lips curled up and revealed his cracked teeth behind me. Time was running out.

I made one last effort to console with him. "I'll give you anything, just please don't hurt me!" I begged. He cackled, amused by my childish pleading.

"You know what I want," he declared.

I gulped. If Tanya was going to save me, she'd better do it now. I could not be his bait any longer. With every passing second, I was getting closer and closer to the horrible fate she promised I would never see.

Suddenly, my head filled with a shriek so loud and piercing that I couldn't even hear my own thoughts. Following it, came a burning sensation at the back of my throat, and I realized the screaming belonged to me.

Then, "What do you think you're doing?" The words wrapped around me like a blanket in a snowstorm. Comfort. Warmth. Life.

I whip my head around and notice that the man has as well. We are both staring at the source of the sentence. His demise, my savior. Now, it's my turn to cackle. She's going to do all the things to him that he was planning for me.

"Revenge is sweet, isn't it, James?" I taunted. "All those people you killed. Over what? A silly little piece of paper?"

He glanced back at me, his eyes filled with everything from anger, to guilt, to fear. It's the most wonderful I think I have ever seen.

"N-no. I didn't d-do it," he stuttered.

Tanya strolled up to him like she would any old friend. "Really? Because I find that hard to believe," she stated.

I looked at her and tapped the middle of my forehead just above my eyebrows. She nodded in agreement, knowing my request.

Placing one hand on his shoulder and the other on his forehead, she uttered the words I'd heard her say countless times before.

"Oh powerful god of the underworld, bless this sinner's life, for he knows not what he has done, and lead him to back to the hole from which he came. As I say these words, I pray that you hear him and banish his soul to Hell for all eternity."