1 | Lunch

"The devil...has come to America. Dungeons and Dragons. At first, regarded as a harmless game of make-believe, now has both parents and psychologists concerned. Studies have linked violent behaviour to the game, saying it promotes satanic worship, Ritual sacrifice, sodomy, suicide and even...murder." a voice read out, a group of boys laughing with him. Dustin scrunched his hand into a fist and looked at Mike, taking a deep breath. "Shit, he seems really revved up today." he gasped, now unsure of what to do, not wanting to ruin his mood or mess with the older male. "He's always revved up. We'll just act casual." Mike explained, silently hoping that he wouldn't make a massive deal out of the news they had to drop to him. "Casual. Right, okay. Totally." Dustin repeated, the pair agreeing. They walked over and pulled out the two free chairs left for them, sitting down.

"Society has to blame something. We're an easy target." one of the members explained, the others humming and nodding in agreement. "Exactly. We're the freaks because we like to play a fantasy game. But..." the metalhead started, slamming his hands down and pushing his chair back as he got onto the table, walking down the middle. "As long as you're into band or...science ...or parties." he said sneeringly, glaring at all the groups when mentioned, getting looks and groans from disturbing their lunch. "or a game, where you toss balls into laundry baskets..." he taunted, gaining the attention from the sports table, specifically Jason Carver, the head basketball player. "You want something, freak?" he asked, standing up and looking at Eddie, pissed off. Eddie smirked before holding his hands up to his head like horns, and making a weird noise, getting laughs from people around them before turning back around. "Prick." Jason mumbled, sitting back down at the table. Y/n Henderson sat two tables away next to Robin Buckley, a spare paper bag in their hand which read 'Dustin' on the front in neat hand writing.

"It's forced conforming. That's what's...killing the kids!" he finished, shouting at the end and slightly scaring a teacher who walked past. He stepped back, gesturing to Y/n and Robin to walk past, a polite smile on his face. "Thank you!" Y/n smiled, Eddie nodding. He sat back down in his seat, tucking his chair in. "That's the real monster." he commented. Y/n walked up to Dustin, tapping his back. "Hey butthead, you left this at home." they said, placing it down in front of him as they received a smile from their younger brother. "Thank you, Y/n! I won't forget it again!" he replied, opening it up and taking the food out, frowning. "Oh, hello Mike! How are you? What's the matter Dustin?" they questioned, seeing his face. Y/n was like the sibling Mike had never had.

Of course, he had Nancy, but she was almost the polar opposite to him and never spent any time with him or his friends and Holly was too young to play with them. Y/n always made time for their brother and the group, probably because they had such a good bond with Dustin, but they would always check up on the others and be there for them - even play d&d with them. "I'm good thank you, y/n!" Mike said giving a thumbs up as Dustin groaned. "I have no juice!" he complained, making y/n roll their eyes. They opened their bag, pulling out their carton and handing it to him. "Have mine for today, but don't expect it again. See you later!" Y/n finished, waving and walking away with Robin, not noticing Eddie's gaze on their back.

"Don't even think about it, that's my sibling." Dustin stated, looking at Eddie. He looked over at him in astonishment. "Your siblings Y/n? Would of never of guessed." he said, making Dustin cough and clear his throat. "Anyway, so uh, speaking of monsters, uh, Lucas has to do his, uh, balls-in-laundry-baskets game." Dustin mentioned, Eddie watching him and listening to his every word. "So..he's not going to be able to make it to Hellfire tonight." Dustin chuckled, nervous of his reaction. "And... I know there's no way we can beat your sadistic campaign without him. So, me and Mike, we were talking, shooting the shit, and we were thinking that maybe we might..." he stammered, all the eyes looking at him and watching him intensely. "Postpone." Mike finished, annoyed with how long Dustin was taking. The others blew up, chorus of 'Postpone? Can't just drop this on us!' and 'Over my dead body!' getting louder until Eddie had enough. "Shut up!" he shouted, letting out a deep, agitated sigh.

"You saying Sinclair's been taken in by the dark side?" he questioned, looking at the two younger males who quite frankly, looked terrified. "Uh...Something like that?" Mike answered, not sure of how to respond. "Something like that?" Eddie retorted, throwing food at Mike's head. "Jesus Christ." Dustin mumbled, flinching at the flying food. "And rather than find a sub for him, you want...you want to postpone 'The cult of Vecna'?" he responded, glaring even more at them. "I... I don't want to postpone it. We don't want to postpone it. It's just that, you know, most of the subs will be at the championship game." Mike confessed, not really lying because it was true, most of the school did go to watch the Championship game. Eddie got up, pushing his chair back and made his way over to the two boys.

"Oh, It's the championship game? Can I level with you? Jeff graduates this year. Gareth's got what? A year and a half? Me, I am army-crawling my way towards a D in Ms. O'Donnell's. If I don't blow her final, I'm gonna walk that stage next month, I'm gonna look Principal Higgins dead in the eye, I'm gonna flip him the bird, I'm gonna snatch that diploma, and I'm gonna run like hell outta here." he explained, the table laughing at his words. "Didn't you say that last year? And the year before that?" Gareth and Jeff chimed in, Eddie biting his cheek. "Yeah, yeah, and I was full of shit. This year's different. This year is my year. I can feel it. '86, baby." he assured, the boys chuckling. "You know what that means? It means, you boys, are the future of Hellfire. I knew it the moment I saw you. You sat on that table right over there, looking like...looking like two little lost sheep. You were wearing a weird Al T-shirt which I thought was brave." he admitted, Dustin whispering a thank you before looking away. "Mike, you were wearing whatever shit your mommy bought you from goddamn gap." Eddie teased, making the whole table laugh.

He grabbed them carefully by the necks, mainly holding their t-shirts, and pulled them out of their chairs to the end of the table. "And we showed you, that school didn't have to be the worst years of your lives, right?" Eddie asked, both of them agreeing with him. "Okay, n, no. Well, I'm here to tell you that there are other little lost sheepies out there who need help. Who need...you. And all you guys gotta do, is get your bo-peeps on and go and find one." he said gently shoving them and walking back to the table. Dustin grabbed his paper bag before returning back to Mike and following Eddie's orders.

--------------------------

Mike walked into the room, well rather burst in, apologising to the others he disrupted. "Nancy! Sorry! Nancy, hey. Um, do you wanna join Hellfire tonight?" he asked, Nancy huffing and shaking her head at him. "Mike! I'm busy! And no, I don't want to join your stupid club!" she said agitated, Mike holding his hands in the air and walking back out, shaking his head at Dustin. They quickly made their way out to the nearest and only phone in the school, Dustin dialling the number. "Can you join hellfire tonight? Just move your date this one time! Come on!" Dustin argued down the phone, getting frustrated. "What, to hang out with you and Eddie 'the freak' Munson? Uh yeah, I'll pass." Steve replied, fiddling with things in front of him, not interested in what Dustin was saying. "You're just jealous 'cause I have another older male friend." Dustin huffed, Steve scoffing from the other end and pulling a face. "Ew...ugh. Whatever. Besides, I mean, I really dig this girl. I think that she could...who knows, maybe she could be the one. Oh, I got some customers. Call you back, bye." he hurried, hanging the phone up. "No, you can't. I'm at...school." Dustin sighed as he heard the disconnect tone drone. He slammed it down, pointing his middle fingers at it. "Max! Can you join hellfire? Just for tonight!" Dustin begged, catching up to her. "If I play, do I get one of those cool T-shirts?" she asked, pretending to be interested. "Yes!" Dustin laughed, unaware of her antics. "Really?" Max asked, smirking at him and waiting for him to realise. "Everyone gets a t-shirt. We make 'em ourselves, and if you...you're being sarcastic." he finished, Max pulling a knowing face and skating away. "She was being sarcastic." he mumbled to himself.

"I hate high school." Mike groaned as they sat down on the wall, having no luck. "I have an idea." he said, looking over at a crowd, catching a glimpse of someone and running. "What? What? Dustin, where are you going?" Mike called, groaning and running after his friend. "Just trust me!" he shouted back, carrying on going. "What?" Mike questioned again.

"Just trust me, damn it Mike!"