34: firelight festival

Start from the beginning

"So tell me, why the sudden need to be domestic?" Rory asked her mom.

"I don't know. I'm in a funky mood," Lorelai told her, which was code for 'I miss my ex-boyfriend'.

"Why?"

"Too many stars. Too much love. It makes me cranky," Lorelai answered.

"So no word from Mr. Medina, huh?" Cassie asked her mom.

"No word," Lorelai confirmed.

"Maybe that's why you're cranky," Rory guessed.

Lorelai sighed, putting on a smile as she turned to look at her daughters. "Okay, new subject please."

"You have a phone too," Rory reminded her.

"How's it coming with that pan?" Lorelai asked, still avoiding the subject.

"Cleopatra," Cassie said in a sing-songy voice.

"Queen of Denial," Rory added, the twins sharing a quick high five that made Lorelai's eye's roll.

"The pan. Please."

"Fine," Rory stood up, still with no pan. "New topic. I have this huge favor to ask you," Rory announced as she moved to sit in front of Lorelai.

A mischievous look appeared on Lorelai's face as she turned to give Rory her full attention. "Mhm. Something I can hold over your head. Let's hear it."

"Friday night is Dean's and my three month anniversary," Rory told them.

"Woah really?"

"Three months? Wow."

"And Dean apparently has some big fancy evening planned," Rory continued.

"Very classy of him."

"Yes, it is," Rory nodded. "But for me to actually partake of the aforesaid fancy evening, I have to get out of Friday night dinner."

"Ah. Good luck with that."

"Do you know how much Emily Gilmore will not care about your three month anniversary?" Lorelai asked her daughter.

"I was hoping you could talk to her."

"If there was a runoff between what Emily Gilmore would care about less, a two-for-one toilet paper sale at Costco or your three month anniversary, your anniversary would win, hands down."

"So you're not even gonna try to help me?" Rory asked with a disappointed look.

"Oh no, I'm gonna try to help you, because I care," Lorelai told her.

"If Rory doesn't have to go, I don't want to either," Cassie announced.

"It's not your three month anniversary," Rory reminded her.

"Well it's the firelight festival and I... want to... uh," She paused, trying to come up with a good excuse, "want to show it to Josh. Boom."

Rory rolled her eyes, "Phone please."

"Okay," Lorelai walked over to the phone, laughing quietly to herself.

"What?"

"Nothing," She answered as she picked up the phone, dialing her mother's phone number. "It's just, 'Oh, hey Mom, uh, Rory and Dean are having their three month anniversary on Friday.' 'Really Lorelai? Why that's wonderful. I'm thrilled.'" Lorelai said, using a high pitched voice to pretend to be Emily and bringing her phone to her ear.

"Stop."

"'Three months. Well, woohoo. Hold on, I'm going to cartwheel.'" She continued.

"Forget it."