05: fast enemies

"You'll never catch up."

--------

"You are obviously bright girls," Headmaster told them as he looked through their files. "Good grades. Teachers like you. Not a lot of social activities, though," He said this time looking just at Rory.

"Living in Stars Hollow kind of is a social activity," Cassie informed him, being a little protective of her sister.

"You, however, have a multitude of social activities," Headmaster said as his eyes shifted from Rory's folder to Cassie's. He looked up at the older Gilmore with a questioning look. "Nothing at your school appealed to you?"

"We work at our mother's inn after school sometimes. And I was in the German club for a while, but there were only three of us. And two left for the French Club after seeing Schindler's List," Rory explained to the very judgemental man.

"What are your aspirations?"

"I want to go to Harvard and study journalism and political science," Rory answered confidently.

"On your way to being..."

"Christiane Amanpour."

From that point on the conversation stayed focused on Rory. The Headmaster asked all sorts of questions and Cassie was happy that Rory went first so she knew what to be prepared for when the conversation shifted onto her.

Rory told the Headmaster that she wanted to travel, and see the world. Which of course he had about a million follow up questions to. Then of course he set down Rory's folder and picked up Cassie's.

"Now, what about you?" He asked.

"I also dream of attending a university to study journalism" Cassie answered in a not so confident tone of voice.

"Which university?"

Cassie didn't respond for a second. Mainly because she didn't really know the answer. She knew what she wanted to do, but she was scared that if she let herself dream of Harvard then she wouldn't get in. She'd rather pray for any good university, because that dream seemed more realistic to her than Harvard.

"I uh... I'm not sure yet," She chose to respond honestly but judging by the look on the Headmaster's face she knew she should've lied and said Harvard.

"So you want to study journalism?" He asked her, deciding not to question her college choices or lack of choices any further. Cassie nodded slowly, like she was worried of making him more upset. "Like Rory?" The Headmaster asked and Cassie had to force herself to not roll her eyes.