32: Christopher

"He always leaves."

--☆--☆--☆--

Rory Gilmore was in no way a runner. She hated running. The only time she really did run was when something was wrong, or she was freaking out about something, or if there was something she really needed to tell her sister. And right now, she really needed to tell Cassie something.

Rory threw the door open to the house, running as fast as she could up the stairs. Knowing that she only had about 10 seconds before Cassie would figure out the news herself.

Without knocking Rory pushed Cassie's bedroom door open. The younger Gilmore was laying on the floor with the book The Bluest Eye in her hand. She barely glanced over at Rory when she came barging in, since this wasn't an uncommon occurrence.

"Okay, you can't freak out," Rory began but Cassie just hummed, too focused on the words she was reading. "So Mom and I were out by the market right?"

"Yeah," Cassie said quietly, but she still wasn't listening to her sister.

"And there was this motorcycle and it stopped in front of us," Rory continued as she walked over to the window, seeing the two subjects she was talking about. "Dad's back," She said, deciding to just rip the bandaid off.

"Yeah right," Cassie scoffed as she set her book down "And let me guess, pigs are flying?"

"Cass, I'm serious," Rory said in a pleading voice. "Dad is about to walk through the front door."

And almost as if it was planned the front door opened, allowing both parents of the Gilmore twins into the house. "Anyone home?" Christopher called out.

Cassie immediately sat up straight, her eyes wider than the earth as she looked at her sister. "What is he doing here?"

"I don't know," Rory shrugged.

"Girls come down!" Lorelai called out in a slightly panicked tone, clearly she didn't know how to feel about Christopher being back either.

Cassie stood up slowly, Rory standing close by her in case Cassie's legs decided to stop working. The younger Gilmore looked around her room completely panicked, she had no idea what to think or do, all she could do was look at her sister.

"Breathe," Rory reminded her.

Cassie took a deep breath, trying not to freak out even more than she already was.

She glanced over at the mirror, quickly trying to make herself look more presentable. Which of course led herself to wonder, why do I care what I look like? This is the father that left us, I shouldn't be dressing up for him. But she was, because at the end of the day Christopher Hayden was still her father.