20: spotted owls

"Molly Ringwald is a good source."

--☆--☆--☆--

The Gilmore women were sitting at the dinner table for yet another Friday night dinner. Emily was talking about something, while Rory and Lorelai listened to her but Cassie was just looking down at her salad. Cassie was annoyed with herself. She couldn't believe she agreed to go to dance with Josh as friends.

Cassie felt stupid, and moronic. So stupid in fact that she couldn't focus as Emily talked to her and Rory about Richard's trip to Prauge.

"Lorelai, what are you doing?" Emily asked as the conversation switched.

Lorelai, who had been picking at her salad looked up at her mother, already sensing the judgemental look from her. "Getting rid of the avocado."

"Since when do you not like avocado?" Emily asked, shaking her head at her daughter.

"Since the day I said, "Gross. What is this? And you said, avocado," Lorelai answered, picking yet another piece of avocado away.

Emily shook her head then turned to face her granddaughters. "Girls, I'm focusing on you now. Tell me all about the Chilton formal next week." Both of the twins looked up, immediately wincing since they had hoped they could've avoided this topic.

"There's a formal?" Lorelai asked, looking across the table at her daughters.

"How do you know about the formal?" Rory asked nervously.

"Yeah," Lorelai nodded in agreement. "How do you know about the formal?"

"I read my Chilton newsletter," Emily answered with pride.

"Oh boy," Cassie muttered.

"Since when do you get a Chilton newsletter?"

"Well as a major contributor to the twin's education I figured I had the right to ask for a newsletter to be sent to my house," Emily told the younger Gilmores as she stood up from her seat.

"Not good," Cassie whispered to her sister because she realized that from now on there'd be no secrets they could keep from Emily.

"Are you serious?" Lorelai asked.

"As it's a good thing, too, since you didn't bother to read yours. One of us should be up to date on the goings-on at the girls's school," Emily said as she walked back into the dining room with the newsletter in her hand.

"Hey, Mom, I read my newsletter," Lorelai said, lying to her mother.

"You did?"

"That's right," Lorelai nodded.