A Sudden Flight

Léon made his way back to the Wide West, where the men he had left to watch the vessel were about their work. For the next three hours, Léon worked next to them, getting his ship cleaned up. Bash showed up not long after him.

"Where are the girls?" asked Léon.

"Getting Tavie some suitable clothing," said Bash.

"Good. Hopefully she can actually start acting the part too."

"You are awful harsh on her," said Sébastien frowning, but looking to his work.

Léon sighed. "I don't want to get into it, Bash," he said. "I'm afraid we just aren't going to get along. She is waspish and just the sort of person I couldn't see eye to eye with."

Bash said nothing.

"I know you have come to care for her," continued Léon. "But you need to think about what that would mean. Yes, it is likely that yours and Dom's lives are forever tied with hers now, but for the time being, you are a pirate and an intrinsic part of this crew. I'm not asking you to stay until I die, but I am asking that you not leave yet."

Sébastien shook his head. "I know what it is you fear," he said. "But it is unfounded. I am going nowhere. You needn't worry that I will leave your side for her. You are my brother, and Dom and I are here until whatever comes next."

"Death," said Léon bitterly. He was feeling like a helpless child, but he couldn't help it.

"Then we are here until death," said Bash resolutely.

"And what of Dom and Jace?" asked Léon.

"I honestly don't know." said Bash. He wipes his brow with the back of his hand and paused his work. "I haven't, of course, spoken to Jace. He is a good man..."

"He doesn't deserve out sister," said Léon.

"But you cannot fault him for loving her. Or her for loving him. Even you crave that closeness with someone. It's human nature."

"But things have changed," said Léon. "And she knows it. If she is with him, she is asking him to be at her side until he is too old for her. He could not expect her to be forever young and stay with him in his age and infirmity."

"I can't think that far ahead, right now," said Sébastien rubbing his temple. "We can't afford to." The younger Elliot paused. "What happened last night to put you in this mood?" he asked.

"Two men were arrested for piracy at the White Flag," said Léon after a pause. I thought, at first, the men who arrested them were after me. I thought I was going to have to fight for my life... Thought I was going to get taken right there... that somehow my identity had been discovered. They were hanged this morning, and all I could think about was how easily it could have been me. How long can we keep this up before we work our way into a corner?" said Léon. "Pirates don't live long. The West Indies are becoming more and more settled, and the longer we keep this up, the more likely it is that we will be caught."

"We've all thought of this before," said Sébastien. "It's something we all consider. No bond is laid on the crew to keep them here. The risk comes with the choice, and we are all free to leave whenever we want."

"You know that's not actually true for most of the men," said Léon, giving his brother the side-eye. " And I am responsible for you two," said Léon.

"No," said Bash. "We are adults too. We all look after each other. That's what makes us family. Perhaps someday we will all decide to live another type of life, but for now this is what we have chosen. But more than that, right now, we have little other choice. Sailing is our best option to combat Sidney. We have men to fight with us in this life. We can't be merchants and make our living honestly. He will target us anywhere, and having honest responsibilities and schedules isn't conducive to fighting him off. But we have to live somehow. Piracy is our only option."