5.5 - Reality Sucks

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," I croak. "Um, some water would be nice, sir."

"Sure," he springs from his seat and takes a cup from atop the dispenser. Filling it, he hands it to me as I thank him, letting the cool liquid slide down my sore throat.

For a while, we are silent. And I like it. But then, the questions start again. I sit there, sipping my water as I try to answer to the best of my knowledge. To my surprise, it was the truth.

And for once, it felt good not to lie. But, it was a shame all good things in life must come to an end.

-

Loupe Fiasco, California
USA - North America
The Main Pack Lodgings - The Pack Cafeteria

Sativa
I hadn't dared to return to the library with so many members of the Pack lurking around. I had made a mental decision to return at night; hopefully, his wife wouldn't be there right then.

I scoff mentally, "Wife..."

I cross my right leg over my left, using my fork to push the mash and gravy around my plate. It was loud, unbearably so. The Pack had a cafeteria, and it was mandatory to eat there. On the exception of General Pack Dinners, or when a visitor came around. It was large, hundreds of tables scattered around the place.

It ran a self-service method, so I had opted only for the mash with a minimum amount of gravy. I sat dully on the table nearest to the windows, there was the option of having your lunch outside, but the warm weather proved difficult. I could hear the whispers, all the time, every time. It was hard, and as I frowned and chewed down on my lower lip, it took everything in me not to snap their eyes away.

My stomach churns. I blink, then getting up from my position on one of the chairs, I take my plate and empty the half-finished contents in the bin. I place the plate on top of a pile of dirty dishes, walking ever so slightly I push open the doors of the cafeteria, grateful at the change of scenery, I walk up to one of the lifts and push on it.

I don't say anything as Amiya appears beside me once more, "Hello." She smiles, this girl was forming the habit of appearing out of nowhere. I didn't like it.

"Hi," I cracked a smile.

"Did you like your training?"

"Mmhm," I murmur as the lift dings and the doors open. "It may seem like an odd question, but could you show me where my room is?" I flush red, I am not certain why - gravely having something to do with the fact that I was asking a six-year-old girl for the directions to my own room.

"Sure!" That smile again.

I walk into the lift, and still dressed in my Yoga pants and shirt, I wrap my hands around myself and lean on the wall of the lift, closing my eyes. A habit I had formed since I was a little girl. I hadn't always been a fan of lifts or escalators.

"How old are you?" Her tiny voice rings out clearly.

"Nineteen." I sigh, rubbing my head. God, I was tired.

"You have finished school," she stated. I only nodded, I didn't tell her that I had to repeat a few classes. After my parents died, the private school stopped, and I was enrolled in a public school.

At first, I was angry. I'll admit - I was a little spoilt. I wouldn't listen in class, I failed my finals, so I am repeating some classes for the end of my final year.

"I'm starting school tomorrow," she giggled, the sound strange in my ears.

I smile, "That's nice."