5.5 - Reality Sucks

Start from the beginning

And in my previous Pack, I failed in each and every one of the categories.

I followed behind him, keeping my eyes on anything but his muscular back. And, how each vein or muscle would move in its own way as he walked. I blow the air out of my lungs as I avert my eyes from him.

"You have a daughter?" I ask, remembering Amiya.

"I don't see how that is any business of yours," his cold and clipped tone made me raise a brow. I studied him, and I was sure that Amiya was a sore subject for him.

I barely sigh as he comes to stop at another door. Its plate-card reads, 'Testing Room'. Ivanovich pushes the door open, I keep my distance as I follow him inside. It was a white room with several wires connected to different machines. A treadmill stood amongst the others, even a gurney lay on the side, pushed up against the wall.

A tall, dark-skinned man sat in one of the chairs, but looked up as Alpha Ivanovich and I walked in. I scanned him. A handsome man with hard ridges for a face, a short buzzcut of dark hair, and chocolate brown eyes. He looked to be in his early twenties. I brought my eyes back to his as he looked down at me, then at Alpha Ivanovich and at me.

"Sativa Carter," my name rolled off his tongue. It was another American accent.

"You know the drill," the Alpha told him, winking at me then walking out of the door as quickly as he had come in. Infuriating, really.

"Well, nice to meet you Miss Carter. I am Brandon Hayes, head of the Testing department in this Pack." I could only nod as he went on. "Would you like to take a seat? Not much training would be going on today."

Confused at what he meant, I sat on the gurney and faced him as he proceeded.

"This Testing pact, will be going on for the next week."

"Week?" I blurt out, flushing red as he chuckled. The Testing in my Pack never went on for more than a day. At times, half a day.

"Yes, it may be a little longer than you expect, but it's for the best. The wolves in this Pack are nothing short of brutal, I need to make sure that you are ready when they are, Miss."

"You can call me Sativa," I offer him a weak smile. He returns it with a larger one.

"So, you lived not too far from here, am I correct?" He questions far too gently.

"Yes, about four miles." I answer, swinging my legs.

"Did you train at your other Pack?" He asks, nodding. I'm not really sure why he is.

"Sometimes."

He motions his hands, I am guessing he wants a more detailed explanation.

"Um, we train once or twice a week. But, it's optional."

He frowns, "Really?"

"Yes." I confirm. "We barely even had Patrol Guards, and nobody could really defend themselves." I talk.

I didn't fully know why I was so open with him. It was his aura, so calming and trusting. I shift on the gurney, looking at his face.

"Dangerous," he noted.

"Mmhm," I agreed.

"You don't have a mate?" He queries, causing me to still in my position on the uncomfortably, idle gurney.

"No," I gulp, my throat suddenly feeling dry. I clear it and raise a palm to the soft skin around my throat.

"Sorry, sore subject?"