4.5 - Flash Fires

Start from the beginning

But, I didn't. Of course.

"Miss Carter," the Elder pushed his glasses back up his snouty nose. "A little patience would do you good." I bite my lip to hold back my reply as the man retracts a magnifying glass from his coat pocket, and places it over the large, brown book that lay in front of him. I only watched in slight curiosity as he read.

"According to chapter one-hundred and nine, section four, article three," the man drones. "It states that the punishment for committing a murder is death."

I can bet on my life that something flashed briefly in Alpha Ivanovich's eyes as he sat straighter in his chair. It almost appeared as if he was worried... for me? I squashed any thought of the man having any feeling for me. I didn't need a reason to find him thoughtful. How he wasn't being trialed for the countless murders that he had committed, would remain a mystery to me. But, I guess that is one of the benefits of being the most powerful Alpha known to man. Even still, it was an unfair justice to his victims.

"Miss Sativa, however, is the heir to a Beta of high-ranking, and the exception says that any male or female child of an Alpha or Beta, may be allowed the relief of death by hanging."

I raise a brow at the expression emitted on Alpha Ivanovich's otherwise emotionless face. Surprisingly, it was one of relief. Masked the next second by his perfectly cold and unfeeling demeanor.

"Miss Carter, your statement." I could almost smile at the Elder's request.

Last night, I had spent most of my time writing up my statement. However, the statement that came with a Lycanthrope's sentencing was not very different from the Court of Law for the humans. I wrote quite a lot, but not enough to let them openly express their pity towards me. I tried, really hard, to keep the depression from the simple paragraph that I had written on a squashed piece of paper.

But, unfortunately I failed.

I reached down into my boot and retracted the small piece of paper. I clear my throat loudly as my eyes scan the room till they meet with Milly's. God, I hated that girl. Anyway, I looked down on the paper, endless scribbles and cancellations until I had got it perfect.

"I haven't killed my parents." It was the first set of words that came from my lips. "I will never know why someone could blame me of such. Hardly a month ago, they were alive. I was happy, I loved my Pack," I glanced at Morgan as I said that. "But, the night they were killed, I was silly. I'll admit, I shouldn't have gotten caught up in their blood. I didn't know, I didn't know. But, I swear in the name of the God that I serve, I didn't kill my parents. I swear I didn't."

"Liar - bloody fucking liar."

I don't need to raise my head as I immediately recognize the voice that yelled so harshly. "Tell me then," I snarl calmly at Milly. "What would I have to gain in the murder of my parents? But you, Mildred Kens. You would have gained the fucking world."

"What are you implying?" Her nasally voice rings out, Morgan takes her hand.

"Mildred Anna Kens." I begin, refraining from landing my right hand on my hip. "My father's wealth was given to you in health insurance, don't pretend as if you are a victim, Mildred."

Mildred's mouth open and closed like a gaping fish. I didn't blame her, I hadn't told her that I knew of my father's insurance. Ever since I was a young girl, I had always remembered my father going on and on about how important insurance is. Why he chose to deposit it to Milly, baffled me entirely. It was almost as if he too had an ulterior motive - I don't know what.

My eyes meet Alpha Ivanovich's for a second before I continue, "I know what you are all thinking." I begin, tearing the piece of paper and scattering in on the table before me - it was a little difficult to do with one hand. I picked up the lighter I had deposited on the podium table and started playing with it once more. "How the hell do I know that? Well, I did my research, and I had found-."