Chapter 2 - It's a Trap!

The night was peaceful once more, no bangs or booms, no fighting, no screams of death. Just... peace, silence.

How I wish that were true. I was safe once again, but "safe" was an arbitrary term nowadays.

I could literally feel my heartbeat pulsating in my thigh, it hurt like hell, and even more so when I put too much weight on the leg. On a positive note, the bleeding had stopped, for now. I'd have to change bandages in a couple hours, I had to minimize the chance of an infection.

I whimpered, the holy stick being the sole reason I could even stand up. I should've waited for them to finish, or maybe... fuck, I don't know if that was a good decision.

On one hand, it was the perfect distraction. While they were preoccupied saving their own asses, I could get away. But I got shot, and the price for that was reduced coverage of distance.

On the other hand, if I'd waited they would've probably spotted me and the "pop goes the weasel" between my eyes. I bet they had nigh vision goggles too, the bastards.

I'd been moving for at least an hour since I treated the wound, the tall trees became less dense as I moved to the west. The overgrown grass reached all the way up to my hip, the wildlife made its presence known around me but hidden out of sight.

I sighed, coughing into my hand. I needed...

What did I need? Better yet, what did I not need? The latter would've be a much shorter list if I had a pen and paper on hand. I massaged the bandage around my thigh, a growing itch on the covered skin.

What I'd do for a warm bed-

"AH! CYKA!" I jumped around on my good leg, I hit something with my left foot in the grass. It was worse than stepping on a Lego brick!

I glared down at the source of another pain in my life, but my frown instantly turned into a maniacal grin.

It was a hatch! Maybe there is a god after all.

I crouched down to the hidden hatch, there was a rusty handle on top of it. I gave it an experimental pull, what I didn't expect was for it to open without resistance, letting it go in surprise.

 I gave it an experimental pull, what I didn't expect was for it to open without resistance, letting it go in surprise