Ch 4: The Newest Guild Recruits

"Well, this is Wigglytuff Guild," said Blazie. "To form a team, you need to sign up here first. Then you need to train until you're a first-rate exploration team."

First, Pattie and Blazie had gone with Elyon to drop Evelyn off back at the Eevee Evolution neighborhood, where Elyon and Evelyn lived with their parents and three brothers. Now, Blazie, Pattie, and Elyon were standing in front of the same tent that Blazie had been to before.

"You guys ready?" Blazie asked the others.

"Ready spaghetti!" said Pattie and Elyon excitedly.

Blazie sighed shakily. "Okay, let's do this thing," she said. Blazie stepped forward and placed her feet on top of the grate.

"Pokémon detected!" yelled the voice that Blazie had first heard.

"Whose footprint is it?" shouted the second voice.

"A Torchic! The footprint is a Torchic's!" replied the third voice.

"Mmm!" Blazie whined. She shook again but stood her ground. "No, I can't lose it again! Not this time."

After a moment, the first and third voices yelled in unison: "You are allowed to enter!"

Blazie turned to Pattie and Elyon, getting off the grate. "You guys next."

Elyon stepped on top of the grate, a little apprehensive.

"Pokémon detected!" yelled the first voice.

"Whose footprint is it?" shouted the second voice.

"An Espeon! The footprint is an Espeon's!" replied the third voice.

After a moments' silence: "You are allowed to enter!"

Pattie stared at the grate. The hole seemed to be deep, but with all the stuff on top, it was made so no one would fall through with all the stuff on top. 'I don't know....' Pattie thought.

"Hey, you!!" the second voice yelled angrily. "GET ON THE GRATE NOW!!!"

Pattie took a deep breath and stepped onto the top.

"Pokémon detected!" the first voice yelled.

"Whose footprint is it?" shouted the second voice.

"The footprint is... the footprint is....um..." the third voice stalled, trailing off.

"What's the matter?!" shouted the second voice. "Sentry? Sentry Diglett, what's wrong?!"

"Dug, what's the matter with you?" the first voice asked.

Down below the grate stood two Pokémon, a Loudred and Diglett. The Diglett, Dug, seemed to be baffled.

"Um-mm, the footprint is...maybe a Pikachu's! Maybe a Pikachu!"

"WHAT???!!! MAYBE???!!!" exploded the second voice.

"What do you mean by 'maybe,' Dug?" asked the Loudred.

"Just that this footprint is one that we don't usually see around here that often," Dug answered.

"Checking the footprints of visiting Pokémon is your job, isn't it Dug?" the Loudred asked.

"Well, yes, but I don't know what to do here..."

"Ugh! Are you kidding me?!" the second voice yelled, sounding exasperated.

Up above, Pattie, Blazie, and Elyon exchanged glances. Except for the second voice yelling occasionally, the three girls couldn't hear the conversation below.

"What's going on down there?" Pattie asked. "Do you think they're arguing?"

Blazie and Elyon shrugged. Finally, one of the voices spoke up. "Okay, sorry to keep you waiting," it said. "You don't seem like a bad Pokémon to us, so..."