ONE

"I think he's gonna do it!"

    Feeling on cloud nine and full of excitement, I'm nearly burning my nappy frizz with the flat iron attached to my hair—hovering over my bathroom sink like a spastic maniac. I've been on the phone with my older sister, Ariana over possibly the biggest day of my life tonight and it was inching minutes away from when it was all about to go down.

   Yes, I, Mariah Ardelle Taylor was about to get engaged. I can sense it in my blood.

   See, it all started when my boyfriend of six months (yes, I'm fully aware that the duration is actually less time than any new seasons of series on TLC), Jonathan Mariano asked what size ring I fit. Really! Out of the blue when I was sitting at a well known fine dining Italian restaurant, working as a highly successful food critic and blogger—the magical moment happened. 

   After gracefully eating an orange splash flavored Italian ice that was hands down one of the best I'd ever had in all of San Francisco thus far...he texted me.

   It was so unexpected, I liked to cry right then and there. Though, I wouldn't even dare do so knowing how much of an ugly crier I am–especially in public for those who truly knew me.

  "Dang girl! Already?! You've only known each other for a few months. How do you know it's gonna be tonight?" She then asks. Oh please. As if it wasn't obvious. The signs were all there.

   "Well think about it, Ari! First, it was the ring size a few weeks ago. Now, a few days after that, he also wondered what are some of my favorite color schemes. Then, just yesterday...he asked me what my dream honeymoon would be too!" I squeal, finishing the last bit of curl I have left to go.

   Glancing down at the time now from my phone—balancing currently on a tissue box, I quickly try touching up my makeup next to make sure everything about me still looks simply perfect. It's the only way of life to live in my book. No mess, no smudges, no drama, or misplaced strands of hair that usually drove me nuts to fix. Everything has a rhyme and reason.

    Squealing back, I can hear Ari jumping up and down on her wooden oak floors she had at the house that she shared with my kid niece and nephew as a single hardworking mother.

    Now this might sound a bit horrible which I never want to intend to be, but ensuring I got a marriage proposal tonight would make me feel less anxious in ending up like her—still waiting for Mr. Right while approaching thirty in a few years. She had a terrible dating history—not that I didn't either at some point if we were being honest. But she had much more than I could ever count. I've seen the pain and heartache she'd gone through for what felt like forever to finally be content with where she is now, and I know in my heart that I wouldn't as strong to do the same. 

    But no more boneheads for me. Jonathan was going to take great care of me once and for all. He wasn't anything like those other guys.

    "This is so exciting Mariah! I'm so happy for you—even if he hasn't officially popped the question yet! Girl, as also your unofficial maid of honor—we gotta start planning! We need decorations, invitations, venue options-" She starts to carry on. Well, until life caught up with her again. "Hey! Marcus?! What did I tell you about sitting on your sister's head—just because she made you cry! Keep it up, and I'mma give you something to really cry about!"

    I smirk, rushing through my small studio apartment closet to grab a little black dress I had also envisioned and bought specifically just for this occasion. I always love to plan precisely when it comes to big milestones like this. Now yes, it was five months ago when I actually bought the thing, but now...it's finally gonna come in handy. 

   "Sounds like you've got your hands full sis."

   She groans, annoyed. "You have no idea." I laugh as she clears her throat, sounding cheerful again. "But I am truly happy for you! Now see, I told you would find the one soon! And if it wasn't for that Justin dude cheating on you with that bimbo you called your former boss last year before you became the awesome blogger you are today—you wouldn't have found the great man you've got now! Right?"

   I shrug as if she can see me. Little did she know, that incident became so far from my mind when I actually met an entirely new man after him briefly. Otherwise known as the last ex I vowed to have again—or let my guard down completely to the point of severe recuperation after being so screwed over.

   However I'd rather not discuss that for as long as I live.

   "Take my advice now, and do whatever it takes to keep this one please. I can't wait to meet him myself soon, the way you go on and on about his incredible personality!" She happily tells me. She didn't have to worry. I plan to. "Anyway, gotta go! Talk to ya later love, and don't you even think about getting hitched without me or I'm gonna whoop your butt too."

   "Deal! I would never even imagine doing so anyway!" I promise before we hang up.

    In my dream wedding book I had been mapping out since I literally could pick up a crayon and write a full sentence that made actual sense—everything else was done pretty much down to a tee. This was just the last piece of my almost completed puzzle in the twisted world of love.

    Hearing my phone make a sudden buzz shortly after her call, I look down to see the other half that was helping make this moment so special.

Hey babe, be there in 5 minutes! And remember, don't look too sexy for me. I'll be too blinded by your ravishing beauty.- JON

   I blush, feeling the greatest source of happiness I had for a man in a while. Twirling off my bed, pretending now that I'm Chris getting ready for her date in the beginning of Adventures in Babysitting—the music from my specially made engagement playlist fills the room as much as my pure joy, knowing one thing is for certain.

   I'd be crazy to ever let him go.