"Hinata?"

My attention was pulled back to the present, and I shook my head when I realized I hadn't responded, putting on as regular a face as possible for my sister, "I've been at school, Hanabi. I'm sorry! My phone broke shortly after leaving, and I haven't had the chance to get a new one."

That was a lie, and a poor one, too. Masumi had taken my cell phone and stomped it onto the ground the morning The Program started before the other applicants arrived. I could tell she didn't believe me but, thankfully, didn't push me on it.

"You could've at least said goodbye to me, y'know," she pulled away from me to sit next to Madara, an unhappy frown on her mouth.

There's no reason for me to feel guilty because it wasn't my fault I couldn't tell her goodbye, but I still did. As I re-took my seat, my hands started to tremble again, so I clenched them into tight fists beneath the table, "I know. I'm sorry."

She accepted a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of juice from her mother, who then served the rest of us breakfast before joining us at the table.

"Well, how long are you staying? Do you wanna go shopping for a new phone today?"

I felt Madara's eyes harden on me without even having to look, knowing he expected me to shoot her request down. "I-I can't, Hanabi. I have to leave soon to get back for evening classes."

My little sister looked like she was about to throw one of her bratty tantrums, but I interrupted her, desperate to avoid making either of the adults in the room angry, "I just missed you so much that I had to cancel my morning classes so I could visit."

Luckily, it worked, and she started wiping at the tears in her eyes once more, "I guess I understand. It just sucks, that's all."

I nodded with a sad smile, forcing myself to take at least a few bites of the food before me so it'd appear nothing was wrong. The rest of the meal went by with relative ease, and soon we were resting in the family room, all four of us. The television was on and was playing the news channel softly so as not to override any conversations we might have.

The attractive lady news anchor started speaking about how the new diving technology has led to multiple discoveries of new species. She gestured toward a screen behind her, and it played a video recorded by one of the mentioned divers. It was incredibly dark, but you could see very faint lights twinkling in the far distance. She continued talking about how we haven't managed to identify what they were, but scientists are continuing their research.

I glanced over at Madara, who was completely invested. This fed right into his belief that alien-esk organisms reside in the oceans and away from Earth. A month ago, when he'd told me his theory, I thought he was insane, but if the video on the screen was real, maybe it held some merit.

"Can I get the address to your dorm? I want to write you!"

I was torn away from the oceanic video by Hanabi's sudden request. I spat out quickly, trying not to panic, "S-Sure! You can get it from your mother."

We spent a bit more time together in the family room before it was time for me to pretend to leave. Hanabi hugged me as tightly as she had when she'd first come downstairs as I stood near the front door. Madara was next to us, acting like he would give me a lift to the bus stop in town.

Tears rose in my eyes that I didn't manage to hide before my sister noticed them, "Don't cry, Hinata! I'll visit you on campus soon, okay?"

It's true what they say about distance making the heart fonder.

I nodded while wiping my eyes, giving her a final wave before stepping outside with Madara. My eyes burned in reaction to the natural lighting, even though it was a cloudy day. When they adjusted, I noticed a construction crew working to repair the damaged section of the large stone gate that'd been blown apart.