Chapter 10

I barely managed to keep it together for the remaining fights, holding an arm around my torso because it somehow helped ease a bit of the ache. The battle to stay quiet and upright stole most of my attention, so I couldn't focus on the outcomes of the matches.

Once they were completed, however, Orochimaru sanctioned us into groups of four before sending us all to work out for the remainder of the training session. He slowly made the rounds so he could comment on our forms or progress.

My group consisted of Matsuri, Karin, and a quiet guy named Neji. We were first sent to the cardio area, where we were to stay active for thirty minutes, whether by using a treadmill, jumping rope, or jumping jacks.

I could feel Karin watching me as I leaned over to re-tie a shoelace and nearly toppled to the ground in the process.

She touched my back and knelt beside me, "Are you gonna be able to do this?" Her voice was slightly hushed as she looked over in the direction of the doctor.

My brow furrowed as I rose back up to my feet. I can't draw any unnecessary attention to myself. Madara had made it incredibly clear that I was to blend in and excel no matter the cost.

With a shake of my head, I pulled myself away from her gentle touch and stepped onto the treadmill, setting it on a low setting so I could test the waters. My face felt warm as my group members tried to mind their own business.

My ribs were aching even at the pace I was moving, and I had to fight the urge to wrap my arms around my torso once more. I glanced over to see Matsuri jogging steadily beside me while the other two were jumping rope.

Neji was the only person I hadn't interacted with; maybe I should feel grateful for that. It's not that he's done anything wrong, but his whole demeanor simply intimidates me.

He had silver-colored eyes that were almost similar to my family's light lavender and long chocolate-brown hair that fell all the way down his back. His features were traditionally handsome, but he was as stoic as one could be. The frown on his lips was so prominent that I couldn't even imagine him smiling.

He suddenly looked over at me, catching my stare, and I averted my gaze with a quickening heartbeat. Luckily, the young man didn't do anything in response.

After a few more minutes, an arm reached over the front of the machine and turned it up. I struggled to match its pace, looking over to see Dr. Orochimaru frowning, "I won't accept slacking off, Hinata."

My entire middle section was burning as though it were aflame, and it felt like my ribs would crumble to dust if I kept my actions up. The pain was unbearable. So much so, in fact, that after a few minutes of the faster pace, I had to hop off the machine and rush over to a trash bin so I could throw up.

My body naturally curled up into a ball on the floor once I was finished, completely exhausted and struggling to catch my breath. I heard the doctor stop a few others from coming to help me but soon felt a nudge to my side. I winced, looking up through half-lidded eyes to see the training leader looking down at me.

"Get up. You're expected to finish your training just like everyone else." I tried to manage a glare, and his eyes narrowed.

He spoke more quietly, "I'm sure Dr. Uchiha will be upset when he learns you couldn't make it through one day of this."

My eyes widened at his threat, and I forced my defeated body to move. Orochimaru grabbed onto my arm and helped me upright before giving me a pushback in the direction of my group. Tears were in my eyes, but I couldn't let them fall and prove to the doctor that I was as weak as he thought I was.

I suffered through the rest of the training, nearly fainting a handful of times. A few others struggled like I was, and multiple people collapsed or threw up, only to be forced into continuing.