12 | We're not friends

Start from the beginning

He got under his opponents skin. The act, although annoying, always worked.

"Kam, man look at me." The chill looking guy ordered, crowding Kam like he was shielding Lade from his view. "Don't listen to him. He's not worth it and you know it."

But the Kam dude shook his head in pity as he pushed his friend aside to take in Lade, who still had the taunting glint in his eyes and that fucking annoying smirk on.

"If this is what you've chosen to become," Kam's eyes were not aiming daggers at Lade anymore. They were... Sad? "Then so be it. Who am I to have a say. But you know what? Keep every inch of this new you to your fucking self!"

Lade scoffed. "People grow at some point Kamauche, get with the movement!"

Another voice scoffed this time. "You call being a walking and breathing STD growth?" Sweatpant girl was glaring fire and brimstone at Lade.

However, Lade shrugged. His smirk finally morphing into an innocent smile. "And you think being a total bitch is better? Hmmn, Wande?"

"Asshole." If it was possible for her glare to harden, it did.

"Y'all don't get to judge me." Lade said a little too loud. The smile on his face almost looking cynical. "None of you fucking have the right to do so."

Didi rolled her eyes, from where she stood, leaning against the wall beside hijab girl. "Dude, no one is judging you."

It was a surprise that she was just speaking when she'd been here all this while.

"Didi," Lade smiled, a playful and teasing glint back to his eyes. "Thought the group's little saint wasn't allowed to speak?"

His words didn't faze her, rather she smiled, hers matching his. "You're right. I've been a goddamn saint so bad that I'm now stacking halos on my head. Can you see them?"

Lade let out a scoff as sarcasm dripped her words.

"No one is judging you Lade. Not one fucking person here has the time to spare your life choices a glance. So, if you feel you're being judged, go and get a thorough look at yourself. It isn't other people's opinion that is bugging you, it's your own opinion. Deep down, you know you've been making the wrong choice and you've been unfair to those undeserving of such act."

"Am I interrupting something?"

I heard Mum's voice before I saw her standing at the entrance of the hallway, her mouth in a straight line as she stared at Lade's bursted lips.

Oh shit!

•••

"What was that about?"

I watched my Mum seal shut the lid of the first aid box she'd brought out to tend to Lade's bruise.

She didn't sound so pissed, unlike how she'd sounded when she'd caught us at the hallway.

I let out a breath. Hope she wasn't there for long.

"Just friends having a slight disagreement." I answered succinctly.

Even I didn't know what was going on back then. It had been a mix of snide comments, veiled words and glares.

"Friends?" Mum placed the box on an open shelf before making herself comfortable on her chair. "Thought you didn't have any." She derided me, her brows raised up.

"Didn't say they are my friends."

She nodded. "Oh."

"Have you ever gotten into a fight before?" She asked out of the blues.