Chapter 45 Office Work

It got really bad last night, and I don't really remember falling asleep or waking up Monday morning. My first conscious thought of the morning is seeing my reflection in the bathroom mirror as I brush my teeth. Then I'm in the back of the car. Mom is driving, and Cody is in the passenger seat. Mom's talking about something. I see some trees before the next thing I notice is that we're parked behind my dad's office. Mom's getting out of the car, but she looks at me first. I blink to focus on her.

"I'm sorry it sucks to be in our family, but you don't have to act like a bitch all the time." She gets out and closes the door behind her.

I look at Cody. "What was that?"

He shrugs. "I have no idea. I wasn't listening to her either. Just nodding and saying 'yeah' to keep her talking." She gestures to the driver's seat. "She does want you to drive us back home. She's getting dad's car and then coming home."

I nod and get out of the car, getting in the driver's seat and adjusting the seat. It's probably bad driving a car while I'm spacing out so much, but there's nothing I can do about it.

The next thing I know, I'm sitting in one of the chairs in the kitchen, and mom walks in through the door, making my heart race and stomach ache. I already know today isn't going to be a good day. Monday really loves up to its name.

"It's common fucking curtesy to talk to people in the morning," she starts, putting her purse on the counter and locking eyes with me.

I keep my face neutral and my mouth shut.

"I don't care if you have a headache, Blythe, you don't need to rub it in other people's faces. Just because I have a three day headache, and it hurts to sit down, does not mean I announce it to the world." She then points at both me and Cody, and that's the most shocking thing this morning. She never yells at Cody. Ever. "You and you wake up in the morning and choose to be a bitch, but I will not have it. So change your fucking attitude or get out of my fucking house. We were going to get breakfast, but now I'm not feeding you or you. You can go get your own job and get money to feed your own damn selves." She looks back at me. "In this family, we answer questions. If you can't do that, then find another family." She stomps out of the kitchen, and I can feel her bedroom door slam shut.

I turn to Cody. "Are you okay?" I'm used to all of this, but he isn't.

He stands up. "Why'd she yell at me?"

"I have no idea. I'm as shook as you are."

He whirls on me. "No," he says, a gleam of something in his eyes. "I don't do that. I don't wake up in the morning and act like that." He points at me like he's warning me to stay away from him. Like me being near him is what is causing him to act this way. "You're the bitch, not me." He glances at his phone. "I need to apologize."

"For what?" I ask, surprised at him completely turning on me like that. What happened to our relationship this past weekend? "We did nothing wrong."

"If I apologize, then she'll love me."

It's like red sirens, lights, and flags all waved around in the air at one time, each screaming for attention. "You do realize how messed up that is, right?" My voice is shaking now.

He shakes his head. "You don't understand. I'm the perfect child. I'm mom's favourite. She actually loves me." He shakes his head again. "Why do you have to act like a bitch all the time? I don't do that. I'm not like you."

At this point, I have no idea what's going on, but an ember of anger shines in me, and I act on it. I give him the most unbelievable look I can muster and say, "Yeah, that's obvious. Because if you were like me, you would understand how completely messed up what you just said is. And you wouldn't be standing here, trying to beg for forgiveness when you did nothing wrong. I don't know how you don't see what's in front of you. I don't understand how you can stand her and then want her love all the time."