Chapter 34 Sleepless Night

I just finished the fourth and last book in my new series, and now, I don't know what to do with myself. I'm still sort of tired from two nights ago, but I feel ninety percent better. Apparently, Orion said that I got heat exhaustion or something. Basically, I was being boiled alive. Don't know how I did that without being in the sun for very long, but apparently it happens. So I spent the day yesterday in bed reading or sleeping. Apparently, Phebe and Cameron even came to check on me, but I was sleeping, so I don't know.

"Why don't we go do something today?"

I look up from my breakfast to see Peter slugging his way to the table.

"I'm borrreeddd," he continues.

"Oh no." Orion walks in. "Please tell me that wasn't Blythe."

I glare at him.

"That was Peter," Sam says from the sink, washing the dishes Jax used to cook.

"Thank heavens." Orion sits down at the table next to Peter, and Peter climbs into his lap.

"Can we please do something today?" Peter whines.

Orion wraps his arms around Peter and kisses his cheek. "Like what?"

Peter immediately perks up, and I can tell that he's purposefully sulking, so Orion will do whatever he wants. I'm impressed.

"Well, I saw this thing that says there's going to be a play in the park—"

"No." Jax walks in with Dev on his back. "I am not sitting in the heat watching some dumb play."

Peter gets off Orion's lap and walks over to Jax. "It's not dumb. You're dumb!" Peter pokes Jax in the chest, but Jax just laughs.

"Sorry, but you're about as terrifying as a baby lamb. Not happening."

Peter pouts but turns to Orion with his puppy dog face, and Orion cracks. I can see the exact moment he does. I mentally laugh.

"I think it'll be fun." Orion stands up, and Peter jumps on him in excitement. "But don't worry, Jax. You can walk around instead. As long as you take someone with you."

Jax nods and gets some food. "Dev. You're coming with me."

Dev nods against his shoulder, not saying anything. For him, that's weird.

I don't get to ask anything before the two of them are gone. I finish up breakfast and put my dishes in the sink. Then I go upstairs to get ready.

Honestly, I would rather jump off of a cliff than watch some play in the park. But I can use this time to find some shade and read. I do need to get some new books soon. I only managed to bring four of my books from home—all the same series of course. I love them, and they're good, but reading them over and over—they're starting to lose their charm, and I don't want that to happen because I love these books with all of my heart.

I get my Ipod just in case and then head back downstairs. I look around the kitchen where everyone is, but I don't see Lincoln. "Where's Lincoln?"

"Working," Sam says.

I follow the others into the car, and I still get the back, but at least I'm not squished to the side. Thank you Lincoln for working.

The entire car ride, though, Dev acts weird. He's quiet, and Dev is never quiet. Something is going on. I end up watching Jax and Dev interact the rest of the car ride, and I decide that something is definitely going on.

Orion parks the car, and we all file out. Other people are parked here as well, each carrying chairs, blankets, and picnic baskets. I'm assuming that they're all here to watch the play thing.