Chapter 41 Dance with the Devil

Start from the beginning

"What about Blythe?" Peter asks.

Mom shrugs. "Guess I didn't bring enough. But Blythe doesn't mind. He's spoiled anyway."

I shake my head with a forced smile. "No, I don't mind. You guys enjoy. I have to go to the bathroom." I get up and make sure they can't see me before swallowing down my tears. I truly did forget the pain. I laugh in my head. These people are ruining me.

"Are you okay?"

I look up to see Lincoln standing there in the entrance to the bathroom.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I smile. "I just forgot I guess." I get up from the wall and head back to the others, and I hear Lincoln following me. I sit on the couch in the living room next to Dev, and I feel him grasping my hand where mom can't see it. That makes me smile. They're here for me, and as long as they're okay, I'll take all the bad she throws my way.

Mom walks back into the den and sees me. "Blythe, Sam was telling me about this antique store in the mall. You know how much I love antique stores. I could spend hours there. Let's go," she says.

I glance at Sam. "Right now?" I make sure to keep my voice soft and even so she doesn't feel threatened.

"Yes. How about it?"

"Oh, um..." I think back to what happened last night and how drained I feel today. I don't think I could manage trying to interact with mom right now, let alone go out and socialize. "I don't think so, mom. I'm not really feeling up to it today."

Lincoln walks in and looks at me.

"Nonsense. You're just lazy. Let's go. You need some fresh air anyway." She grabs her purse and jacket before looking at me.

I stand there, dumbfounded. "Mom, I'm not—"

She smiles. "Well, we're going anyway."

"Mom—"

"Blythe Dallon."

I know that tone. "Let me get some shoes," I say and, without looking at the others, I duck past her and go upstairs. I feel the tears coming, but I pinch at my skin, the pain distracting me from the tears. I get to my room and close the door, thankful that Peter isn't here right now. I take my time, calming myself down and trying to shove every one of my tears so far back that there would be no hope of me crying today. I put my ipod in my pocket and go back downstairs.

"Finally," mom says when she sees me. "Let's go." She heads out the door, and I follow, head down and eyes staring at the ground.

"Wait!"

I look up to see Dev running after us.

"Can I join you? I need some new shorts anyway."

The relief I feel almost makes me fall to the ground.

Dev looks at me, but mom answers with a tight lipped smile. "I don't think so, Devlin. This is just going to be a mother son adventure."

I stay silent, but in my head, I'm screaming. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Dev smiles back at her, but I can see the mischief in his eyes. "Don't worry, Mrs. Lovelace, I won't be in the way of your bonding time with Blythe. It's just... Orion has these rules." He waves his hand in the air. "You know, no fighting, no drugs, no leaving the house by yourself. It would just be a shame that Blythe would choose this particular day when Orion isn't here to break one of those rules. You wouldn't want your son to break one of the few rules we have here, would you? So, if you're thinking about it, I'm just helping Blythe out."

I can tell that Dev is spewing complete bullshit, but as I glance at mom, a slice of fear goes through me at the look on her face. I've seen that look before, but never directed at someone other than me. She hates him as much as she hates me. I don't know exactly how I feel about that, but I do know that I feel angry, and I feel like actually defending Dev. That's a first. I can also tell that mom doesn't believe Dev, but she also can't risk it.