Chapter Twenty-Nine: Two Is Better Than One

Start from the beginning

***

Mila sniffles and rubs her eyes as she suckles on my breast. Theo and I just got her out of timeout. We explained that swearing is bad, and she apologized tearfully. Now, Mila's nursing while trying to calm from her overflow of emotions. I keep whispering reassuring words to help her calm down. It seems to be working as her body slowly relaxes into mine. She's still fighting her nap, but between my breastmilk and the warmth of my body, she's losing that fight. Laying down, I pull the blanket over the top of us, and close my eyes.

A shake on my shoulder is what wakes me. I startle awake, turning to see Theo standing there. "We have to get going, babe." Nodding, I gently unlatch Mila from my breast and stand. She whines at the loss of contact as I gather the shorts she was wearing earlier. I slip them up her legs as she sleeps, then carefully lift her up into my arms. It'll be easier to get her into the car while she's asleep. The boys follow Theo and I out of the hotel.

Once everybody's loaded up into the car, we start the drive to Camden and Scarlett's house. Mila starts waking up halfway there. She grumbles and reaches up to rub her eyes with balled up fists. "Good afternoon, sissy." Kai whispers while rubbing her tummy. Mila smacks her pink lips together, and yawns. That must've been a really good nap. West reaches over Kai to stroke the soft skin on Mila's cheek. She turns her head into his palm and tries to go back to sleep.

"Keep her awake, Kai." I tell my son. He nods at me while he continues to stoke Mila's belly. She pushes his hand away, making Kai chuckle. "If you keep sleeping, you'll miss seeing Briella." He warns my baby. That does it. Her eyes shoot open as her legs bounce with anxiousness and excitement. The rest of the car drive is loud with the sounds of Mila's excited babbling.

As soon as the car stops in front of Camden and Scarlett's house, Mila has her chest clip undone and she's trying to undo the rest of her harness straps. Kai helps, then pulls her out of the seat. He steps out of the car and places her down on the ground. I watch with an indulgent smile on my face as Mila runs up the steps of their porch. She bangs on the door with her tiny first, while I step up behind her and ring the bell.

Camden opens the door with a huge smile on her face. Mila doesn't waste any time inviting herself into their house. She runs under Camden's legs, yelling Briella's name. My eyes roll, making the woman in front of me laugh. "Come on in. Briella's just waking up from a nap." With a wave of her hand, Camden steps to the side and gestures for my family to enter the house. Scarlett is carrying a sleepy Briella down the steps. She lays her out on the couch, much to Mila's pleasure. My baby wiggles her tiny body onto the cushions beside Briella, then shakes her shoulders until she wakes.

Three people I haven't met are also in the living room, two of which are locked in a tight embrace. It's the type of kiss that makes my own cheeks turn red. Scarlett clears her throat, making the two adults jump back from each other, then approaches me, wrapping me up in a tight hug. "Introductions are due. The two adults who were just sucking face are Kelly and Henry. Their little girl who's now hiding behind her mommy's leg is Genny." Stepping back from Scarlett, I shake each of their hands. All except Genny's. She's shy like Briella when I first met her.

"Hello, angel. I'm Mila's mommy." I crouch down when I approach Genny. My height can be a little imitating, and this sweet girl is obviously a little like Briella. "Hi..." She mumbles adorably. Meanwhile, Mila screeches like she's lost her mind. Her and Briella are hugging and rocking back and forth like they haven't seen each other in decades instead of a couple months.

"Can I tell you a secret, Genny?" I whisper. Genny's eyes widen and she nods, slipping two fingers in her mouth. Adorable. Just Adorable.

"Mila's actually fifteen. She has a rare form of dwarfism. She regressed just like you and Briella." I wink when her jaw drops. Kelly laughs from above me. I'm sure Scarlett and Camden told her about Mila. "My little girl would love to play with you. Why don't you go introduce yourself to Mila?"