Lost Princess

"You're a princess, Ji Eun-ah. Do you really want to live with the Choi Family after knowing that?" Ji Eun took a step away from the woman.

"What do you mean?"

"Ji Eun, this is our chance to avenge Bakjae. Your marriage can help us reach the king faster than we had planned. We'll look for the right moment and....kill the king." Ji Eun was shocked to hear that. Perhaps she genuinely wanted to marry her Prince.

"No, Woo Hee Unnie. It was never 'our' chance. My mother escaped from Baekje years ago just to keep me away from this."

"We're sisters, Ji Eun. You have to help me. I'm sorry about whatever they did to your mother. Our father was an evil king. But that doesn't change the fact that you're Baekje's lost princess." Ji Eun looked at Woo Hee in disbelief.

"Princess?" She let out a dry chuckle. "Unnie, did you forget that Bakjae has fallen? The revenge is not mine to take."

Woo Hee took out a dagger from her robe. "Here. Take this." She handed it to Ji Eun.

"Th-This is mother's dagger." There she had, the only thing she saw that once belonged to her mother. "Why is this with you?"

"The late queen of Baekje, your mother was a fighter. The royal family of Bakjae mistreated your mother but the people of Baekje loved their queen. She was killed by Taejo, Ji Eun." She looked at the dagger. "This dagger was kept by Bakjae as a token of respect for their late Queen."

Ji Eun's thoughts were tangled in knots that she couldn't untie. "As much as I want to avenge my mother, how can I kill the king if I don't even know if he's my mother's killer? Killing the king is like betraying everyone. I can't do that to my friends and family. I love them."

"Your friend is Goryeo's prince! How can you love the enemies?"

"They're your and Baekje's enemies not mine! My mother ran away from Baekje,  not as your queen but as my mother. She gave up her post. Keep me out from your intentions."

"Do you think that your prince and the entire Goryeo will believe in your loyalty if they find out who you really are?" Ji Eun looked up at Woo Hee.

"I can't betray the Choi Family!" Ji Eun cried.

Woo Hee sighed. "If that's the case, you have to choose."

"Choose what?"

"Choose if you want me to expose your true identity to the Royal family or if you want to avenge your mother."

The silence seemed so loud at that moment. Ji Eun could feel her throat tighten but she could not utter any words. "If you expose me....the Choi Family will also be called traitors."

Woo Hee took her stepmother's dagger from Ji Eun's hands. Ji Eun's gaze was still on the dagger.

"Do you really think that they'll punish me?" Finally some words made it out of her mouth. "They'll understand that I've never betrayed them and I never will."

Woo Hee came closer to Ji Eun and held her hand. "Ji Eun-ah.....everything that shines is not diamond. Your mother was loyal to the Royal family but still got killed by the king. You'll go through the same fate as her if you trust them."

"Take this dagger back from me after you make a decision." Woo Hee started to walk away leaving Ji Eun in a puzzle.

.
.
.
.
.
A few minutes passed by. Ji Eun was still trying to process the entire thing that happened and she finally made a decision.