Chapter 24: Antlers, Rot, and Fury

???

Two black vehicles could be seen driving across the dusty plains, kicking up clouds of sand. The leading vehicle, was shockingly driven by Big Bob despite the size of his blast suit. Aside from him, Mephisto, Nine, Ch'en, and a few grunts from Reunion were in the same vehicle as them.

Mephisto was in the front seat with Big Bob, Ch'en however, sat across Nine, someone who also left the L.G.D. for Reunion. The Pythia avoided eye contact with the Lung, who drilled her eyes onto her uneasy expression.

Nine: Even when you aren't Head of the L.G.D., you still have that look.

Ch'en: What look?

Nine: Angry, insensitive, looking like you're about to beat someone up for just calling your name.

Ch'en: I'm not angry.

Nine: You sure look the part, even back when I used to be the superior.

A small memory played in her mind, Ch'en's frown deepened, Nine formed one too, they knew what memory each other was thinking about.

Nine: You still remember it? It was raining very heavily, a gang called the Spearheads robbed a bank and took the clerks hostage, bringing them to a nearby abandoned hostel called the Lion's Den.

Ch'en: The whole operation took an hour and seven minutes. We were on the strike team meant to infiltrate the the four-level hostel and save the hostages.

Nine: After the operation. We were the only ones left on the strike team. During our escape, the building collapsed from an Originium bomb.

Ch'en: We were hurt by so much shrapnels of Originium that it was no mistake that we were Infected.

Nine: What would we be doing now if we weren't infected...

Ch'en: We would probably still have our old jobs.

Nine chuckled darkly, it was ironic how she had worked as an infected in an organization that drove out infected for five years now.

Nine: Maybe, but I was thinking of quitting anyway. But you, you could've taken Wei Yenwu's seat if you persevered for a little longer.

Ch'en: I would, but someone talked me out of it.

Nine: Sathariel, I presume? He didn't convince me per se, it was more like a I needed a place to go after I resign and I just so happen to overhear his plans.

Ch'en: So you blackmailed him into letting you join.

Nine: You could say that,

While the ex-L.G.D. personnels talked, Mephisto was fidgeting in his seat, frequently looking out the side window to stare at the other vehicle.

Big Bob: Faust will be okay. W might be a nutjob, but she has been proven to be an exceptional driver.

Mephisto: It's not that...

Big Bob: Sathariel?

Mephisto: Yeah. I couldn't bring myself to stab teacher, even when he ordered me to?

Big Bob tapped his fingers against the wheel, his breathing echoed by the armour he wore.

Big Bob: Doesn't that make you a good person?

Mephisto: Huh?

Big Bob: You followed what you as a person perceived was morally correct, despite being ordered by a higher authority, you stuck by your morals.

Mephisto: But I'm still a bad person, I stole and killed, betrayed and manipulated. Do you think I'll even be forgiven for the things I've done?

Big Bob: Do you forgive yourself?