Setting boundaries

Chapter 7

Yeji

I didn't know what's gotten into me.

I know she's off limits. And I know all those stares, remarks and quirks to try and get my attention were caused by my dismissive attitude towards her from the beginning.

But the way she was looking at me when Soobin was being a little flirty made me forget that he was even there - and standing at a distance so close to me. I could only focus on trying not to look towards her direction as I felt her stare bore into my skin.

When she left and Chearyoung followed, I ordered Yuna and myself shots of tequila. The only thing is that I forgot Yuna isn't drinking because she'll drive us, so I downed both shots myself.

When Ryujin came back, she sat beside me. I didn't realize I took half of her space.

I didn't move away.

"Hi", I said - probably our first direct conversation of the night.

Carrying the courage brought by the newly-taken shots, I leaned towards her.

I don't know if it was the alcohol, or it's the developing itch to actually get to know her that's driving me to be a little flirty with her.

I finally dropped the bomb asked her to dance but she just stared at me. And because I have an excuse, having just drank 2 shots of tequila, I closed my eyes and leaned my head at the back of the chair.

I can feel her eyes on me. Tell me if you like what you see, that's what I thought.

When a Marvin Gaye song started playing, I felt a sudden pull on my hand - it was Ryujin, leading me to the dance floor.

I barely had time to process if it was shock or amusement that I felt when she turned me around, pressed her body into mine and started grinding to the song.

I closed my eyes and immediately gave in.

Reaching whatever part of her I can hold on to because I can feel my legs growing weak, I got a hold of her hair. When she gasped, a good gasp, I held on to it tighter.

Again, I didn't know what's gotten into me.

I am well aware that the girls can see us, and that most of the people around us are students from the university. But I couldn't stop even if I wanted to. It felt too good to ruin. I can feel her worked up breaths in my ear, her body couldn't be closer to mine and I can feel everything.

When the song ended and transitioned into a slower one, I finally came to my senses.

"I'm sorry. I don't... It was a stressful week and the lights, the song felt freeing. I shouldn't have-"

I backed away and shut Ryujin off before she could try and calm me down.

I rushed home and buried myself in my bed.

What was I even thinking? I've already established that there's a high chance that she's dating Lia. And that girl hates me to the guts. I'm not about to throw myself in the middle of what's going on and cause trouble. Besides, I cannot have any distractions. Auditions are next week, so I need laser focus.

The next day, I went out early to take a run. I wanted to make sure no one's awake yet so I left at around 4AM. I also packed some clothes so I can go straight to a dance studio near the university to practice.

When I got to the place, I saw some students from the university who were also there early. Mostly seniors, I assume, because they exude confidence and they seem pretty eased up compared to the students in my batch.

The place has an arcade and an open space for games - pool tables, claw machines, ktv corners, and even dancing arcade games. There's also a corner where you can get refreshments and they even have chairs where you can stay and dine in.

Once I reached the second floor, I saw the studios - for dancing and recording. Most of them are empty since I came early so I was able to book one for a couple of hours.

For the auditions, I chose to do a sensual routine to Bishop Briggs' River.

I've already perfected the choreography, learned the facial expressions and picked out my outfit. But as I watch myself for the nth time, I could still sense the same feeling from last week that something is off. Something is still missing. And I still couldn't point out what it is.

I decided to grab a drink and a sandwich after hours of dancing.

The place is packed now. I can see some slightly familiar faces, which is how it goes in every place I go around the campus. I haven't really had the chance to make friends in other classes, nor do I intend to.

I sat in one of the corner seats and dialed my Mom.

"Umma", I greeted when she answered.

I told her about my week and how I'm missing home so much. I've told her that I've already grown independent in my short time here and that my roommates are such nice people. Well, I didn't bring up that Lia has been very bitchy towards me but that's just school drama and I don't want her worrying.

We said goodbye after minutes of talking.

I almost didn't recognize the time when a ray of afternoon sunlight struck the window behind me. And because the glass of the cafe was tainted bright orange, it brought a strong laser-like color to my corner.

And that's when I got the idea. I hurriedly grabbed my things and stopped by the convenience store on my way back to the dorm.

When I entered, I unexpectedly saw Ryujin on the couch, watching TV and eating popcorn. Before I could even take a good look at her, I saw Lia coming back from the restroom (I assume), then sat beside her. o

I bowed my head and went straight to Chaer's door. I expected her to call after me but she didn't.

I felt a minor punch to the gut but who am I to demand? I was the one who walked away. And she's with Lia. She didn't even look at me.

I knocked on Chaer's door, wishing she's in.

After a minute, she opened it.

"Yeji?" She looked at me from top to bottom.

"I thought you were inside your room... I was knocking earlier to ask if you'd want salad but figured you might be asleep."

"Uhm, about that. I was actually out early. But I do have one thing to ask you before I tell you how my day went", I said, hopeful.

"What is it?" She answered.

"I wanna dye my hair orange."

a/n Sorry if I haven't uploaded in weeks. I hope people still read this. I'll try and upload more regularly from here. Thank you!