Chapter 24

*Later that day*

I was collecting the things I needed from my locker when I heard a voice behind me.

"Getting into some trouble I see." Hunter's voice said from behind me.

I turned around, seeing him smirking.

"Daxton and Noah told me what happened," He said, crouching in front of me, "Did she get you anywhere else?"

I shook my head slightly as he looked at my lip, telling me that it would heal on its own in a few days.

"Daxton and Noah are going to hang out with their friends, so I'm going to take you home." He smiled, grabbing my right hand.

"Thank you." I said quietly.

When we got in the car, I stayed quietly, shifting a little when I felt pain in my lower back.

"I need to drop off some paperwork at the hospital on the way home, but we should be home before dad's friends get there." Hunter informed me.

Ah, yes, the hospital; probably my least favorite place in the world.

I nodded lightly, not really caring if we were at the mansion before the people got there or not.

"Are you ok?" Hunter asked, glancing at me before focusing back to the road.

"Yeah." I said quietly.

The rest of the ride to the hospital was quiet.

I was silently panicking over what Mr. Thompson was going to do when he found out I got into a fight.

I'm not sure if he knows yet or not, but I'm not looking forward to what's going to happen when he does.

"Do you want to know a secret?" Hunter asked suddenly.

"Sure." I said quietly.

"When I was your age, I got into a fight at school too," He said with a small smile, "Dad never found out, so Ace and I never told him. He only found out what happened when I started collage because it was on my school record. When he did find out, I told him what happened and that it wasn't my fault, and he wasn't mad about it. He gave me ice cream because, even after all those years, he said he was proud of me for standing up for myself."

"I didn't tell him because I didn't want him to be disappointed," Hunter said, "If I knew he wouldn't be, I would have told him immediately."

"He wasn't mad?" I asked softly, snapping the hair tie against my wrist.

"Nope." He said with a smile.

I nodded slowly with a small smile, looking out the windshield.

"Did you win?" I asked quietly after a minute of silence, making him laugh.

"Let's just say I wasn't very good at self-defense back then." He laughed, making me smile a little.

5 minutes later, we got to the hospital.

I felt my chest start to tighten, but I didn't say anything, and followed Hunter inside.

"Hey, Thompson, I thought you were done for the day." A nice security guard said when we got to the front doors.

Hunter still had his work clothes on, which made me assume he went straight to the school after work.

"I just need to drop off a few papers," Hunter said with a smile, "This is my sister, Adeline, by the way."