♡ prologue ♡

Harry hunched over in his spot on the ground as a gust of freezing cold air hit his body.

He was wearing a small thin worn-out ripped coat that barely shielded him from the cold.

His teeth chattered as another gust of air hit him, then another.

He leaned his head back against the brick wall he was slumped against and closed his tired eyes.

Throughout his whole childhood, Harry's father was very abusive, and he was the main reason why Harry was in this current situation.

He's been on the streets since he was seven, and now he was thirteen.

He only got by because when he lived with his parents he saved up a lot of money doing chores and helping the neighbours, something that was mandatory and expected of him at a very young age.

His mother also gave him a lot of money here and there, telling him to save it in case he ever needed it.
Not only that, but she handed Harry a ton of money right before he left.

His father, Des Styles, was always hard on him. He would expect the small child to do unrealistic tasks that even grown ups sometimes struggled with doing.

Harry was expected to tidy up the house, cleaning it inside and out until it was spotless.

He had to regulary go out and buy groceries for his family and he was expected to cook food for his family, as well as serve meals to them and tidy up after them.

All while this was happening, his older sister Gemma didn't have to lift a finger.

Their father told them that Gemma didn't have to do anything until she was much older, and it was Harry's job to look after the house until then, because he was 'the boy in the family.'

Their mother, Anne Cox, thought that the whole thing was ridiculous.

She knew that Harry was just a child, like Gemma, and couldn't possibly do everything that an adult could do.

He was supposed to play, explore and learn. Not spend all of his time doing household work and chores.

The small boy was never given the chance to play and have fun, something almost every child got to do at some point in their lives.

Harry didn't even go to school.

Des refused to put Harry into the schooling system and even told the government that they were homeschooling Harry.

They obviously weren't though, and no one except Anne and Des knew that.

Harry didn't know anything a regular seven year old would know.

He couldn't read, write or count.

He didn't even know how to hold a pencil properly, and he had never even looked inside a book.

Anne and Des fought constantly.

Anne argued that Harry shouldn't have to carry the load of the house, and if anyone should be learning to do housework, then it should be Gemma because she was older.