Stepping Up, Chapter 80

Five Whippers waited for them in the next room, along with more rats than Tibs cared to count.

"You guys mind if I take that on by myself?" Jackal asked.

"Yes," Tibs replied, glaring at the fighter.

"The rats can't hurt me," Jackal said. "And I'm pretty sure I can take the Whippers on without trouble. You guys can jump in if you decide I'm in over my head."

"Then we might as well go in with you," Mez said. "We already know you're in way over your head."

"I believe it could be good for him to test his limits here," the cleric said, "rather than against the boss."

"I'm with Khumdar," Carina said.

Jackal looked at Tibs.

"Fine," Tibs replied with a sigh. "But if you die here, I am going to hurt you."

* * * * *

"I think," Sto said, "that I need to find a way to keep anyone as strong as Jackal off this floor." The fighter moved rubble with a foot, bent down, and straightened, holding a silver coin.

Jackal had turned to stone as he stepped into the room and then ignored the rats biting at his ankles. When a whip hit him, he caught it and pulled the Whipper off its feet. A few punches and kick, and there were only broken stones left. The other four went as easily, and stepping on the rats took care of them.

"You can just make them stronger," Tibs replied.

"I'd rather not kill everyone else who reaches this floor."

"It might be time to look for a way to let those strong enough to unlock the doorway to the third floor without going through these," Ganny said.

"Not sure how to do that. I haven't seen anyone approaching Jackal's level demonstrate anything I could use as a key."

"How many are close to his level?" Tibs asked. He hadn't realized Sto could sense that, and having someone to compare what he felt with could help him get better at it.

"A few. You, Don, Arcam, Sallice, Arruh—"

"Who are Arcam and Sallice?" Tibs didn't think he'd ever heard the names before.

"Two of the nobles."

"Oh." That would be why.

"Tibs?" Jackal called, "let's move on."

The fighter handed him four silvers, a dozen coppers, and one amulet, which the guild gave them twenty for.

"You know, dungeon," Jackal said, "this room is worth more than that."

Tibs rolled his eyes at Jackal's acted disappointment.

"Tell him he's can get a lot more on the next floor," Ganny said, sounding amused.

"This is plenty," Tibs said as they walked. "Four silver covers the room for the month, along with the repairs from this run."

"Unless you destroy your armor, again," Mez commented.

"Which I use my coins for," Tibs snapped, and the archer rolled his eyes. Mez hadn't found that, yet again, Sto used one of his ideas amusing. Or appreciated Tibs's laughter. Tibs was certain he was no longer imagining the sharpness in Mez's tone anymore.

"So," Mez said as they stop at the entrance of the Ratling encampment. "We're letting Tibs go off on his own while the rest of us do all the fighting?"

"How about I," Tibs replied, fighting the urge to grind his teeth, "try something?"