Eddie's Sister-Steve Harrington

Start from the beginning

I turned on my heel and walked to the table they were collecting the can food items. I slowly started organizing the cans, putting the same type of food in a box.

"Look who it is."

I looked up to see some of the cheerleaders and what was left of the basketball team walking toward me. I tried to go back to organizing the cans of peas but the box was pulled away from me.

"Are you like your freak brother?" One of the basketball players threatened.

"My brother was not a freak," I said instantly.

"Did you see the way he dressed?" Giggled a cheerleader.

"This coming from a group of teenagers who all dress the same," I scoffed.

I jumped back as the basketball player aggressively tossed the box onto the ground, the cans going everywhere.

"Wow, Munson," the guy scoffed. "Clumsy much?"

The group walked away, purposely kicking the cans in opposite directions. I held back my tears as I knelt down and started cleaning up the mess they made. I didn't look up when someone knelt down and started to help.

"I'm really sorry, Y/N."

I looked up to see Steve Harrington smiling softly at me. I didn't know him much, but he helped my brother a lot over the past couple of days.

"I wish there was something we could've done," he sighed, his voice dropping. "We tried. . ."

"I know you guys did everything you could," I cut off his stuttering. My voice broke as I added, "We all did everything we could."

We finished putting all the cans back in the box. Before I could, Steve grabbed the box and put it back on the table. I didn't realize I was still on the ground until Steve reached his hand out to me. I was struggling to stop the tears as I took his hand and let him help me stand up.

The second I was on my feet, he pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arms around me. It was getting harder to hold back my sob. Steve tightening his arms around me made the sob escape. But I couldn't let Steve (or anyone in this ungrateful town) see me cry.

So I ran.

"Y/N, wait!" Steve yelled as he chased me out of the gym and down the hallway.

"Y/N, please stop." He said as he finally caught me right before I could run into the girls' bathroom. He grabbed my elbow and turned me toward him.

"What?" I asked harshly as I pulled my arm out of his hold. "There's nothing you can say to me, Steve, that will make me feel better right now. I just lost my brother. He was the most important person in my life. Not to mention how the town sees him. For the last couple of days, this entire town has believed that my brother, the one who was everything to me, was capable of killing a bunch of teenagers. He was on the run and still risked his life to protect me and this town. And he did! He saved all of us and they still think he's a murderer!"

Steve caught me as my legs gave out. He held me tightly to his chest as he slowly sat us down.

"Your brother was a hero," Steve whispered. "That's how I'll remember him. That's how Dustin will remember him. That's how all of us will remember him. And it's how you should remember him too."

"I thought you hated Eddie," I mumbled.

"I didn't hate him," Steve chuckled. "I was jealous of him."

"Jealous?" I asked, pulling out of his embrace. "Of Eddie?"

"Don't laugh," he teased, "but yeah."

"Why were you jealous of Eddie?"

"To be honest, it kinda bugged me how close Dustin got to him."

"You're jealous of Eddie and Dustin's relationship?" I asked, struggling not to laugh.

"Yeah yeah," he chuckled. "Laugh it up. But it's true. Dustin got obsessed with your brother and it kinda bugged me."

"Dustin is still obsessed with you, Steve," I said to reassure him. "Sure, he got obsessed with my brother but you are still his idol. Truth is, Dustin only got obsessed with Eddie because he'd play D&D with him."

We both laughed as we relaxed against the lockers. When we stopped, I looked over to see Steve messing with his hands.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah," he cleared his throat. "I'm fine."

"Hey," I said, nudging his shoulder with mine. "What's wrong?"

"There's another reason I was jealous of Eddie."

I did a little quarter spin so I was facing Steve. I folded my legs and leaned my elbows on my knees.

"What's the other reason?" I asked. Steve looked at his hands, hesitating. "Steve?"

"You're the other reason."

"I don't understand," I stuttered.

"You guys were close," Steve shrugged, "and I wish we were that close."

"You wish we were siblings?" I asked, trying to laugh off the sudden nerves that washed over me.

"No," Steve said slowly. He looked into my eyes and slowly scooted closer to me.

"I wish we were close," Steve whispered.

I sucked in a surprised gasp when he leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. Our lips moved in sync, almost in hesitation. Steve broke the kiss, both of us breathing heavily.

"I know there's a lot going on," he whispered as he leaned his forehead against mine. "And I know you're still grieving Eddie, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that you weren't alone. If you ever need anything, you can come to me. In fact, I want you to come to me. I'll always have your back, Munson."

"I really appreciate that, Steve," I whispered.

"I didn't do a good job of protecting your brother," Steve said under his breath. "I will not make the same mistake with you."

Steve was about to lean in and kiss me again but was cut off.

"Y/N? Steve?"

We looked over to see Robin and Dustin running toward us.

"Are you okay?" Dustin asked me.

"I'm fine," I said, clearing my throat.

"Y/N, we saw what happened," Robin sighed as she and Dustin sat across from Steve and me.

"I'm fine," I tried to say again.

"Y/N," Steve whispered. I looked up at him to see him looking at me knowingly. I sighed and looked back at Robin.

"The entire basketball and cheer team blame Eddie for everything," I said shakily. "And they're taking it out on me."

Robin and Dustin moved over. Robin sat on one side of me and Dustin sat in between me and Steve. They all leaned in and gave me a big group hug.

"We've got your back," Dustin whispered. I looked up to see Steve smiling at me.

"Told you so."