“Okay. I get it. I am incapable of doing bad things because I act like a normal human. Yup. Agreed.”

“I don’t understand how that is acting like a normal human.”

“That’s because you’re a dick.” 

“Hmm. Anyways, what did you do?” He asked. What did I do? I swallowed my memories and looked over at him.

“I blamed her for something that wasn’t her fault at all.”

“What thing?” Why did he want to know everything? 

“There was just something after dad’s death when I was in a really bad place, I took it out on her.” At the mention of my dad, Dylan's expression changed. He knew that territory was not to be entered. Dylan had seen me at my worst. At the start of my senior year I couldn’t even attend the classes because I didn’t want to get out of bed. And he was there all along. He knew a little about what happened. But he never tried to exploit it. He was one of the reasons why my grade didn’t fall and why I was able to get admission to a university.

“Fuck. Must’ve been pretty harsh.” Dylan backed down. His curiosity also died down. 

“Yes. I was.” I sighed. 

“But if she was your real friend, she should’ve stayed.”

“That’s bullshit saying and you know that. Real friends get hurt and leave. Fake friends stay because they weren't ever really invested too much to even get hurt.”

“So, are you trying to mend your friendship?” He asked. 

“Should I?”

“Hell yeah.” He nodded. 

“I don’t think she will forgive me.” I voiced my fear. It has been eating me alive. What if she never forgave me? I had a chance. This summer was my chance. But if she even gave me a little hope, I was willing to follow her back to her house. Hope. Everything depended on that four-lettered word.

“It depends on you. How far are you willing to go for forgiveness?”

“Pretty far.” I think until the end pretty much. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for her.

“Then I think she might forgive you.” That gave me a little comfort. But he had to open his mouth and ruin it. “And when she does, can you ask her to go on a date with me?”

“Fuck off.” 

“What? She is really pretty.”

“You just called her weird.” 

“As I said before, her prettiness overs—”

“Don’t complete that sentence if you want your teeth to remain intact.” 

“You’re awfully protective of her. Am I sensing something?” He raised a speculative brow. I made the most disinterested face ever. 

“You ruined the mood again.” 

“You're welcome.” He smiled and I walked upstairs. But instead of going to my room, I decided to go on the roof. The weather was nice today and it felt like the day to sit up on the roof and just exist. It was past midnight and as I was sitting on the roof, I missed her. 

All I wanted to do was go to her house and knock on her window and live through the memories she had written in her diary. I still remember last summer. I came here to find her. I had asked Jules for any contact they had with the Sampson’s. But she didn’t know about it. She told me all contacts were in dad's phone which was lost in the accident. I tried to ask about it from his friends, but he gave me Darla's father's number which wasn’t in service anymore. I tried to find her on social media but I couldn’t. And I came back here. But she didn’t come. That was the time I was going to therapy and I knew I had made a mistake when I pushed her away. I came here to amend my mistakes. I was and still am ready to beg. Beg for her forgiveness.