Chapter 30 Play Dead

En başından başla

The blood drains from his face. "What happened to Annabelle?"

They have a staring match before Elise says, "She was in the car with Remi." She pauses, like she's waiting for Jax to do something. "She's in critical condition." She glances at me before taking a deep breath, preparing herself for her next words. "I tried reaching you when it happened, but no one would answer my calls. I came here yesterday and told that boy to tell you to call me. I can see now that he didn't."

"What are you talking about?" Jax asks, glancing at the two of us. "You came here yesterday?"

"Yes. I talked to that boy there," she points to me again, "and I told him to tell you to call me urgently because it was about Annabelle."

Jax turns to me. "Blythe?"

I try to wrap my head around everything that she is saying. "I— I mean, she did come by the house yesterday. And I did talk with her. But she said nothing about needing you to call her immediately. Or anything about Annabelle. I swear, Jax! If I had known, I would've—"

"Enough. I don't want to hear your excuses. Give me two minutes. Then we're leaving." Jax leaves the kitchen in a rush, but I hurry after him.

I have to make this right before he goes. "Jax, wait." I rush up the stairs after him.

"Go away, Blythe. I don't want to hear it right now."

"I know, but I'm sorry." I follow him into his room. "I really am. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"And yet it did," he snaps back with such force that it causes me to stop.

"Are you blaming me for this happening?" I ask, utterly confused.

He pushes past me and out the door.

I rush after him. "Jax, are you blaming me for this?" My voice rises as I stop at the top of the stairs.

He turns around from below and faces me. "All I'm saying is that I could've been with her yesterday if a certain someone told me one simple fucking thing."

"Fuck you, Jax," I hear myself say, anger coursing through me for the first time in years. "None of this is my fault. I didn't know anything about Annabelle or what happened to her—"

"That's the problem!" he shouts. "I should've known. I should've been there for her. She could've died, Blythe! She could've died, and I wouldn't get to be there with her to chase her fears away. I wouldn't be able to say goodbye. All because of you!"

"I know that's terrible—"

"You don't know shit! All of your siblings are taken care of by your parents. They get the world handed to them on a silver fucking plater. All the while, the closest thing to a blood family I got left is Annabelle. If I lose her, I'll never forgive you. It'll be all your fault. You'll have to deal with the guilt for the rest of your fucking life. And maybe then you'll finally remember something important for a change. You're so fucking useless—"

I stand there, staring at his silhouette. An image flashes before my eyes—my mom is in the kitchen with fire in her eyes. Her mouth moves, saying the same words Jax just said. I recognize the familiar tone in his voice and the emotion in his eyes, and something in me shifts. My face goes blank, and my tone says neutral as he continues yelling something. I don't know what. It feels like I got sucked into my own mind, watching whatever is happening through a distorted wall. I know how this thing is going to go, and I know what to do to survive.

Half of me is panicked about what might happen because it is Jax yelling at me, but the other half of me is calm because I'm used to this. This is familiar. This is normal.