0 1

I was late.

Hastening my foot steps, I hurried up the stairways that lead to my class, textbooks and notes clutched within my hands. What a great start, I tell you.

One thing I really hate? Arriving at any event whatsoever, late. It usually makes all eyes to land on me and boy, do I hate it. In my head I'm always like, stop it; y'all were doing something before so get back to it. I never had the gutsiness to speak like that to a crowd anyway.

I panted like crazy. Imagine a dog with its tongue stuck out and humping around, yeah, that's what I looked like right now. It's a miracle I managed to go up four flights non-stop. For chrissake, what were the builders thinking when they planned on putting the SSS 2 floor at the top of this building?

When I reached the hallway, finally at the top, I held onto the railing and sucked in a huge amount of air through my mouth. I've heard it isn't healthy doing that most especially in an environment that's open to microorganisms. Well, I couldn't help it. Run up a four storey building and you'll understand me.

"Is everything okay?"

I nearly choked just by hearing that strange, masculine voice from behind me.

Am I hearing things?

As if to assure me of my sanity, a boy about my age, appeared in front of me. What marveled me was how well he fit into our school uniform of white shirt and beige trousers. Not to forget the grey striped tie. Omo, Daniel aside, the uniform suited him.

His brown hair had unique, short curls and his skin looked surreal. A Nigerian skin that burned under the hot sun couldn't be this, this...smooth. Ok, if you took good care of your skin, it can be that good. But his didn't look Nigerian.

How come I've never seen this guy before?

Like I couldn't be made any more stupid, he cocked his head to the side, an amused smile on his face. "Are you okay?"

I blinked then recomposed myself. "Yes. I'm okay. A bit tired but okay."

"Oh, that's-"

"Mr Smith!" I heard Mr. Odebode, our Mathematics teacher call.

Who is Mr Smith now?

It's like I came to the wrong school this morning.

Thanks to his 6'1 height, the guy in front of me looked over my head, like he was the one being called. Or was he?

He smiled apologetically at me. "Nice meeting you," he said before heading in the opposite direction, towards the area where I had heard Mr Odebode's voice.

So he's the Mr Smith.

I sighed, straightening up. It had nothing to do with me anyway. Why would I even think this much about a guy that I just met? Was it the concern he showed? Meh, boys are the same. He'll probably forget the dog he met in the hallway.

Recomposing myself once more, I took in a deep breath, this time, through my nostrils, and headed for the door leading to my assigened classroom.

Let's do this.

I motioned for the door way but stopped in my tracks just about the time I wanted to set my foot in. I was late and on my first day of resuming into a new grade for that matter. How the hell can I do this?

Still, with the little courage in me, I walked into the classroom and my eyes landed on Miss Martha, perhaps the one taking us in Physics this term. At least, that's what I heard from Amara. I could tell she was the one due to her high cheek bones and signature wine coloured wig.

"Good morning ma," I greeted Miss Martha as I walked in.

She adjusted her glasses and peered at me with narrowed eyes. "And why are you late?"

I stopped midway with my practised cute look and lied, "Mum's car broke down"

She narrowed her eyes even further but shrugged after. "Alright. Have your seat however, I do not condone lateness. Your seniors can attest that."

Boy, this woman must've mistaken her calling. Cos with all these big words she's throwing here and there for me...

"Yes ma. I won't be late next time." I nodded and made for one out of the two empty seats beside Amara. It was two rows behind the front row.

I could practically feel the pressure of Amara's gaze on me. Like pencils being poked all over my face. From the moment I lied, I knew my best friend won't let it go-my lie. I brushed away the braids that interrupted my line of sight and dropped my notes and textbooks inside my locker.

"Psst! Kaira!" Amara called in a hushed tone immediately Miss Martha turned to write some things on the whiteboard. "Hey."

"What?" I didn't look at her, instead I flipped my book open to the page written on the board. "It's too early to start gisting."

She hissed. "Who said anything about gisting? Only if you'll listen."

"Oya, what?"

"You're late. Why? I don't believe your mum's car broke down. She's not even around."

"God." I facepalmed myself, leaning into my chair. Of course, she would see through my lie. Through me. I lied at certain times but not to my teachers at least.

"Answer jare."

I sighed when I looked into her sable eyes, every form of excuse out of reach. "I woke up late. Mum and dad aren't around so the driver to came late to pick me up."

"Ehen?" The boy in my front turned to face me and I nearly jumped.

"Daniel, I swear I didn't know you were here." I recomposed myself with my hands to my chest. When I was going to sit, I didn't take in the surrounding area. Like; the people sitting round me. It made me not to even notice Daniel. His moustache was growing again and his hair, fuller than normal. It was clean though.

Two weeks and his hair gets full again.

He lifted his brows. "The fuck? Why won't I be in school?"

"I meant at my front, ode."

"He decided to move to the front." Amara said, leaning closer. Strangely, her eyes settled for Daniel and not me.

I took quick glances at them, folding my arms across my chest. "Right, I wonder why."

"Mumu, it's not what you're thinking." Daniel scoffed.

I tsked. "Who said I was thinking anything? The power of guilt."

"It's not the-"

He got cut short when Mr Odebode's thick voice killed the little silence left. "Miss Martha, good morning."

The focus of everyone in class got shifted to our Mathematics teacher and even more, to the guy beside him whom I recognized. The same one I had seen in the hallway.

I see...

Wait a minute! The same guy I practically, nearly gawked at?

Jesus Christ.

I'm not so good at writing author's note still, how was this chapter?

Does it have a good start?

Thanks for reading!