12) What You Give Is What You Get

En başından başla

"Did you bring your Cymbalta?" he asked, referring to the so coursed anti-depressive I had to take every day.

"Yes." I replied shortly, hoping he would quit talking. I didn't want to listen what was coming next, but I guess I had no choice at all?

My dad sighed. I grew used to it.

"Lyndsey, I was talking to Dr. Hoppus and he thought it'd be good for you to do some extra activity, you know?"

"Extra activity? Halfway through the year?" I questioned sarcastically, but he sounded dead serious.

"I'm not joking, Lynn. It doesn't have to be a club, but like a contest or a gathering or an exhibit. Just something that includes being socially active, and that might possibly give you credits for university."

"Who says that I'm going to university?"

"Why shouldn't you?" "I never said I wanted to go to university." I did want to go there but we had never talked about it. And honestly it annoyed me that my parents had my future planned without even considering asking for my opinion.

"It's too early to decide that and you're too young to even think about that. But you're going to attend it unless there are setbecks in the process."

"Setbacks? What would that mean?" My dad paused. Seems that I had struck a nerve.

"I mean- we're not planning your future, but it's nice to build a light idea of what it might be." he affirmed, hesitantly.

Yeah, obviously. He didn't know whether I was going to be sent to a mental hospital or not, was that it? What-so-ever. I wasn't going to play that game with him, though I just wanted him to shut up before exaggerating.

Fortunately he did, and not another word was exchanged between us until the end of the ride to school.

I plugged my earphones in and Fate wanted Pressure by Paramore to come on shuffle.

--

"Hey guys." I waved at Alex and Brian, that were sitting on the edge of the school's fountain. They waved back as I reached them.

"Do you want to hang out somewhere today? We can go at 'our place' after school and then do something else." I suggested. They exchanged looks and shrugged.

"It's fine to me." Brian said and Alex nodded furiously while sipping his fruit juice. I gave a small smile.

"Cool. I want to bring another person, by the way."

"Uh?" Brian's eyes widened.

"Um you'll like him, he's cool! Just... trust me, okay?" I attempted to reassure him but he still looked unsure. I decided to ignore it.

I took my red lunchbox and saw that my mum put a slice of pie in here. Strawberries pie. Honestly I never really liked my mum, but if there was something she did well, it was baking - unlike me, I'm barely able to warm milk up.

"Anyone want some pie?" I asked. Alex smiled weakly and nodded, taking a very small piece of it. He then sent me a thankful look.

"No thanks, I'm allergic to strawberries." Brian said, while taking a sip of water.

"Yeah? What else?"

"Hm only dust. I don't have many allergies."

"I thought you were allergic to avocados?"

"Nah, only dust and strawberries. Avocados just suck." He fake gagged and I chuckled.

"Yeah sure." I said, shaking my head. I noticed that Alex was lost in trance, looking away, and I turned to see a couple of kids laughing in our direction. My smile suddenly dropped.

"Assholes." Brian spoke up, emphasizing the word. I shook my head in disappointment.

"What were they even saying?" I questioned, turning to Brian.

"Weirdos, freaks, beasts, who knows. They all can go to hell." he replied, adjusting his position on the fountain so that his feet were on the small marble wall that surrounded the fountain.

I looked down at Alex, that seemed pretty upset by those people's looks, and rubbed his shoulders lightly.

"Hey, hey, don't be bummed, It's fine. They don't even know us. We're not freaks, you're not a freak." I reassured and he nodded hesitantly, then pulled me in a hug.

It was good to feel the warmth of a hug again. I wasn't used to hugs, I hardly let anyone touch me, not even my parents. I don't like the sense of touch in general, it sends me shivers and a strange feeling that I dislike. But this one was different, it was genuine and... nice.

Alex's hands were always cold, but his hug was another story. So much warmer and friendly, something you wouldn't expect. I wrapped my arms around him as well and enjoyed the moment.

It saddened me that he was so vulnerable, like a lost puppy. His golden heart didn't deserve that. People's words would cut him like knives, he wasn't one to stand the criticism, that's one of the main reasons why the doctors said he had 'social anxiety'.

I think he just didn't feel ready for the cold world, in the open, he still needed to be comforted. And I and Brian were going to do anything to help him find that confidence and love that he deserved.

"It's okay, it's okay. They're just stupid. They don't deserve your respect nor your kindness. Let them live their poor lives, they're not gonna get anything good from all the messed up persons they're wearing." I whispered in a reassuring tone.

"You know. We all have weird habits and thoughts. But how funny will it be when they figure out they're the real freaks." I whispered and felt Alex's smile into my shoulder. Brian sent me a smirk too, before taking another sip of water and glancing away.

Sure, weird thoughts were different from weird dreams. But I've never been a 'freak' or anything like that. I'm human and aware of that. We're all the same, there are just people that think differently and it's okay, unless they start hurting your feelings.

I'm never hurt by anyone because I don't care about their opinions. I know what I see and I know that I'm not crazy. I had also had it proven.

This is not just all in your head.

--

A/N: While writing I found out Lynn really has had depression (or at least that's what I've read, might as well be just a rumor) at the age of 16 (look at the incredible coincidence) and I feel kind of bad for not knowing. So I'm trying to treat this subject very carefully. She's such an amazing person and it breaks my heart that she's gone through that, I just hope she lives in happiness forever because seriously she's awesome and doesn't deserve anything bad in life.

Also, if you're going through that too, just know that I give you all my support and hope things turn good for you.

Back to the story, there are going to be many surprises so keep an eye on it. Vote/Comment/Tell me what you think about the chapter, I accept criticism. Have a lovely day. x