열여섯

— Chapter 16 —

[Jisung's P.O.V.]

"Yah! Wait for me!" Chenle hyung shouted and the rest of us waited for him. I don't know why he's still not used with horseback riding when he came here every summer with the Lee siblings.

"Hurry up Chenle, we still have other chores to do after this" Haneul said and led the way.

"Uh, is it normal that we get itchy while riding a horse?" I asked and they looked at me

"Ji, you forgot to put a saddle on the horse. It should get itchy. You guys go on, me and Jisung will catch up" Haneul said and told me to follow

"So, what's a saddle?"

"It's kind of a leather-covered seat where you put it on the horse to avoid their hair have contact with your skin.

Most of the riders use them, but some doesn't."

"Oh, okay. Uhm, can you tell me more about your grandparents when they were young?"

"sure." Haneul slowed down and began the story.

"When grandpa was 10, his father taught him how to ride a horse, how to use a bow and an arrow, and other things that countryside people can do.

Grandpa would ride his horse 24/7 and he mastered it for 3 days only. Then we he turned 12, his father died due to cancer.

Grandpa told me that his father's last words were "Do your best and make me proud my son, I love you and your mom so much.", 40 days after his father died, he started to practice more tricks in horseback riding."

"He also improved with shooting arrows. And by the time he turned 15, he started to join contests and he would always win the first place.

His mom was so proud of him, grandpa would always go to the cemetery after the competition to tell his father about it."

"Then, we he turned 18, he met my grandma in a competition. Grandma was also a contestant, she was new so grandpa didn't recognize her at first.

When the competition ended, grandma won first place while grandpa won second place.

His mom told him that it was okay, but he was disappointed to himself."

"And when that happened, he started to practice more everyday, he would sometimes skip meals because of it.

Then one day, my grandma saw him on the field with his horse, she went near him and sat beside him.

Grandma was the first one to talk, and that time, grandpa was acting cold towards her. He still couldn't believe that she won against him.

But grandma didn't give up on talking to him. She would visit him everyday, and they somehow got closer day by day."

"When grandpa was 20, he planned to ask grandma out, but sadly, grandma had a boyfriend before grandpa could confess.

And the worst part was, grandma's boyfriend was grandpa's best friend for 10 years. So their friendship was ruined."

"Months later, and grandpa noticed that grandma and his best friend were fighting almost every day.

He could see that their relationship was getting worse. And then, they broke up. Grandma would go to grandpa's house and break down in front of him, saying how she regretted everything."

"Then what happened?"

"Grandpa did his very best and helped grandma move on. Let's just say that.. they both grew feelings for each other and they dated until they got married." Haneul smiled